Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

enabled Auto-level makes entire printer move very slowly

Posted by dintid 
enabled Auto-level makes entire printer move very slowly
November 20, 2015 01:45AM
I have Googled up and down, and searched on the forums and on Github Issues, and havn't found a similar thread, so I hope I'm not asking something that has allready been solved.

Printer configuration
  1. Printer type: UM2 clone type (my source) - I have made lots of changes, but that is not relevant for this issue.
  2. Controller: Arduino Mega 2560 R3 + Ramps 1.4 -- Modded to 24v
  3. IR-Sensor: I'm using DC42's mini IR Sensor for my Z-height sensor.
  4. Firmware: Release Candidate -- Marlin 1.1.0-RC2 - 29 September 2015
  5. My firmware: You can see my firmware here on dropbox - I have not setup Z-offset and other Things for printing, as I'm not that far yet.

Problem
  1. When Auto-level is disabled everything Works fine.. printer moves fast around and homes as expected -> to the rear left. Can see video here [youtu.be]
  2. When Auto-level is enabled everythigng slows Down. I can still move it around and homing Works, but it is extremely slow. Especially when doing small moves (10mm) and especially on the X axis. Y axis is also very slow though. Can see video here: [youtu.be]
  3. The issue is very easy to see, but I have no idea how to solve it?

What I've tried:
  1. I have tried enabling/disabling my Mini OLED display. It uses I2C and I thought it might cause problems. No change though.
  2. I have tried enabling/disabling EEPROM_SETTINGS. No change.
  3. I have tried enabling/disabling DISABLE_MAX_ENDSTOPS - this was listed in an old Github issue, but no change.
  4. I have tried enabling/disabling min/max-software_endstops - this was listed in an old Github issue, but no change.
  5. I have tried enabling/disabling ENDSTOPS_ONLY_FOR_HOMING - no change
  6. I have tried enabling/disabling Z_SAFE_HOMING - no change.
  7. Tried setting same HOMING_FEEDRATE as XY_TRAVEL_SPEED (speed between probes) - no change
  8. Tired upping Z DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE from 45 to 300mm/sec to test for Z axis-movement limiation - no change

Thesis:
Firmware is corrupt.
Derived from the Issues on Github it seems a Z-auto-leve issue was introduced with the merging of the Delta printers in march/april 2015
At best there is some "hidden" speed settings after using G29 which I just can't find in the firmware?

I really hope someone has some idea, as I have no clue how to proceed!

Edits: for readability.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2015 01:50AM by dintid.
Re: enabled Auto-level makes entire printer move very slowly
November 20, 2015 03:22AM
Is it configured to make the head follow an uneven bed? Then the IR sensor would be sampled a lot during any move. What if the bed is out of reach for the sensor?

Did you confuse mm/s and mm/min? Some variables like homing feedrate are in mm/min.
-Olaf
November 20, 2015 03:38AM
o_lampe
Is it configured to make the head follow an uneven bed? Then the IR sensor would be sampled a lot during any move. What if the bed is out of reach for the sensor?

Did you confuse mm/s and mm/min? Some variables like homing feedrate are in mm/min.
-Olaf
Follow uneven bed: There is no such feature as far as I know? In any case:
I have looked closely and touched the Z axis while moving the X and Y axes and it does not move.
The X and Y moves very slowly even if Z axis is 10cm away (Sensor does not sample anything).
I have upped Z speed to 300 to compensate, and it made no difference.

Confuse mm/s and mm/min: no I did not.

The printer moves perfectly untill I enable Auto-level. There is absolutely no speed settings in Auto-level aside from moves between probes, which are set to 12000 since they are mm/min.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2015 03:39AM by dintid.
November 20, 2015 03:49AM
How do you know the controller isn't sampling the sensor?

From what I've experienced with marlins dev firmware, they seem to focus on Cartesian printers. Deltas and coreXY are last to be supported/debugged.
Thinkyhead doesn't even have a delta to test his ABL-code :/
-Olaf
November 20, 2015 04:00AM
o_lampe

From what I've experienced with marlins dev firmware, they seem to focus on Cartesian printers. Deltas and coreXY are last to be supported/debugged.
Thinkyhead doesn't even have a delta to test his ABL-code :/
-Olaf
I don't know except the bed is so far Down the sensor gets no new information.

My printer IS Cartesian.

I do not use DEV firmware, which is different from the RC2

edit: hmm, but maybe I can disable the sensor in some way, to make sure it does not get new information once the G29 is completed... do you know if that is possible?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2015 04:01AM by dintid.
November 20, 2015 05:12AM
o_lampe
-Olaf
Regarding sensor sampling

The printer becomes slow as soon as the firmware with auto-level enabled is uploaded. I do not need to run G29 command first... the printer is simply just slow when the firmware with auto-level enabledis uploaded to it.
November 20, 2015 06:24AM
After running auto level and before or when moving the head around, are you setting a feed rate (F parameter in the G1 command)? The last move that the auto level procedure did may have been a Z move with a low speed, and if you send a G1 command with no F parameter after that, you will get the same low speed.

Forget that - I see that you don't even need to run the auto level operation, moves are slow already.

Are you quite sure you have copied all your configuration.h parameters across from the old to the new firmware?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2015 06:27AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 25, 2015 01:26PM
dc42
After running auto level and before or when moving the head around, are you setting a feed rate (F parameter in the G1 command)? The last move that the auto level procedure did may have been a Z move with a low speed, and if you send a G1 command with no F parameter after that, you will get the same low speed.

Forget that - I see that you don't even need to run the auto level operation, moves are slow already.

Are you quite sure you have copied all your configuration.h parameters across from the old to the new firmware?
For some reason RC just does not Work with my arduino + ramps. I tried several Vanilla installations and ended up going back to latest stable, which Works like a charm. I do not know where the error was, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't me.

edit: a shame I can't use my tiny OLED with this version of marlin, sigh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2015 01:27PM by dintid.

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
My Designs on Thingiverse
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
Ultius / Tantillus Thingiverse Group
November 26, 2015 09:26AM
What do you mean with " Vanilla installations" ?
Did you try to copy&paste some configuration.h from elsewhere? That wouldn't work since a few variables got new names and different meanings/behavior.
You'd have to go through each line and knit your own config.h and config_adv.h
-Olaf
November 26, 2015 11:53AM
o_lampe
What do you mean with " Vanilla installations" ?
Did you try to copy&paste some configuration.h from elsewhere? That wouldn't work since a few variables got new names and different meanings/behavior.
You'd have to go through each line and knit your own config.h and config_adv.h
-Olaf
Vanilla = From scratch = from zero

Regarding copy/paste: No. I do know how to setup firmware.

It worked when I stopped using RC (Release Candidate) and went to the latest stable. A shame as I needed the RC for my diy OLED display.

edit: I get tired when suggesting stuff like the copy/paste and start explaining how I have to go through the lines and such.. if anyone read the posts I had made here it should be clear that I do not just make ghetto changes, but actually do Things methodically.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2015 11:55AM by dintid.

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
My Designs on Thingiverse
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
Ultius / Tantillus Thingiverse Group
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login