Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problems compiling Firmware 1.09 for Duet

Posted by sk399 
Problems compiling Firmware 1.09 for Duet
October 02, 2015 09:11AM
Hi,

So, I got myself Tricolor Mendel 3 with based on Duet "motherboard". As I am going to modify my extruder (part of my project) respectively I would require to edit firmware. As for now only RepRapFirmware got support for duet boards ( [reprap.org] ) . The version 0.78 came with clear building instructions, and I managed to build it using direct instructions from : [blog.think3dprint3d.com] . As the latest version is 1.09 ( [github.com] ) , I do exactly what its said in instructions ( [github.com] ) but in the end I can not build the file. If anyone done building Firmware 1.09 please, share the exact action sequence of building including versions of Arduino IDE, Eclipse, Libraries, or perhaps anyone got good guide on building 1.09 from source. Also did anyone manage to find any other firmware suitable for Duet ? Thank You.

Svjatoslavs Krasnikovs
Re: Problems compiling Firmware 1.09 for Duet
October 02, 2015 10:51AM
The RRP version of RepRapFirmware is lacking several features and fixes in the more recent releases of my fork (at [github.com]) and Christian Hammacher's fork (at [github.com]), so I suggest you start from one of these. Several people have built my fork, with a little help from me. Christian's fork may be easier to build because it has its own Arduino core included.

What modifications will you be doing?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 03, 2015 06:07PM
If you prefer building using command line tools as opposed to an IDE such as Eclispe, then there is a fork of the dc42 branch which can be built from the command line using scons and the gcc arm toolchain from either Arduino 1.5 or 1.6. It's a fork I've been using for a port to RADDS and Aligator boards of the dc42 branch. I keep it up to date with dc42 and it has no functional deviations from dc42. It does have some structural source changes so as to support building for multiple platforms (Duet and RADDS at present).

See

[github.com]

The directions for setting up and building with scons are in the file

[github.com]

You will need to install scons which is a Python-based build system. And you will need to install the Arduino 1.5.x or 1.6.x application. Don't forget to do Step 6 of that install guide -- install some patches/changes to the Arduino API.
October 04, 2015 07:54AM
dc42
The RRP version of RepRapFirmware is lacking several features and fixes in the more recent releases of my fork (at [github.com]) and Christian Hammacher's fork (at [github.com]), so I suggest you start from one of these. Several people have built my fork, with a little help from me. Christian's fork may be easier to build because it has its own Arduino core included.

What modifications will you be doing?

Hi, Thank you so much for your reply. The modification that I need to perform, will be applied to extruder, I need to mix Ninjaflex and PLA within controlled proportions. As mixing process is considerably harder to implement than just feeding 2 materials in a single nozzle, I would need 3 heating elements and 2 motors for feeding material into modified extruder (Also there might be need to use motor for a mixing system) . Do your firmware supports options like connecting via web interface ?
October 04, 2015 08:39AM
RepRapFirmware already supports mixing extruders and multiple heaters and extruder drives for a single print head. So you may not need to modify it. Your biggest problem will be generating gcode to specify the mixing proportions. You may be able to use a standard slicer followed by a gcode post processor, especially if the mixing proportions are constant.

All forks of RepRapFirmware for the Duet support the web interface.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

October 07, 2015 05:14AM
dc42
RepRapFirmware already supports mixing extruders and multiple heaters and extruder drives for a single print head. So you may not need to modify it. Your biggest problem will be generating gcode to specify the mixing proportions. You may be able to use a standard slicer followed by a gcode post processor, especially if the mixing proportions are constant.

The problem is that mixing proportions will not be constant within a print. There would be regions of different material proportions trough put the material. There also might be need for driving screw within the nozzle, in order to produce good quality mix/blend. Any suggestions on that ?
October 07, 2015 05:42AM
dnewman
If you prefer building using command line tools as opposed to an IDE such as Eclispe, then there is a fork of the dc42 branch which can be built from the command line using scons and the gcc arm toolchain from either Arduino 1.5 or 1.6. It's a fork I've been using for a port to RADDS and Aligator boards of the dc42 branch. I keep it up to date with dc42 and it has no functional deviations from dc42. It does have some structural source changes so as to support building for multiple platforms (Duet and RADDS at present).

Thank you for the reply, any idea if I can use Python 3.5 for building from scons ?
October 07, 2015 05:58AM
sk399
dc42

The problem is that mixing proportions will not be constant within a print. There would be regions of different material proportions trough put the material.

Then as I said before, your biggest problem is to generate gcode that specifies the mixing proportions for each move. RepRapFirmware recognises moves such as G1 X2 Y3 E1:2:3 to allow you to specify the movements of each extruder drive required for that move.

sk399
There also might be need for driving screw within the nozzle, in order to produce good quality mix/blend. Any suggestions on that ?

Perhaps use another stepper motor to drive the screw, as if it is another extruder drive?

October 07, 2015 07:53AM
dc42
Perhaps use another stepper motor to drive the screw, as if it is another extruder drive?

Mhm, I clearly see what you mean. The other issue is Duet Extension Board, is there any need to do any changes in your version of 1.09 or RepRap's 1.09 in order to use printer with Extension board ?
October 07, 2015 09:12AM
sk399
dc42

Mhm, I clearly see what you mean. The other issue is Duet Extension Board, is there any need to do any changes in your version of 1.09 or RepRap's 1.09 in order to use printer with Extension board ?

All RepRapFirmware series forks that I am aware of support the DueX4 extension board, and have done so for over a year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login