Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin settings for NEMA23 motors

Posted by pockpock 
Marlin settings for NEMA23 motors
August 22, 2015 12:37PM
Hi,

I've got a CNC router which uses big NEMA23 motors rated up to 2A (I operate them with 1.2-1.5A) for the X and Y axis. It is currently controlled by a smoothie board [1,2] to perform various tasks and it does a great job. Sadly I need that smoothie board for a new machine so I bought one of those cheap Ramps 1.4 sets from china. My plan is to use it with the old machine and dedicate it to 3D printing.

So I transfered the stepper drivers, used the same microstepping settings and used the same steps per unit settings for the Marlin firmware. Sadly only the Z axis works now, X and Y movement only produces sounds in the motors but nothing moves. To test if I haven't fried anything I put everything back into the smoothieboard and it still works there.

What could be the reason for that behaviour? Before doing the obvious thing and buying an other smoothie board or new motors, I'd like to try to find a software solution.

Best regards,
-pockpock

PS:
Here are the related configuration lines (I also attached the whole configuration files in case anything else is relevant)
#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   {87.489064 ,87.489064, 2560.0, 1230.180627}  // default steps per unit for Ultimaker
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE          {100, 100, 5, 25}    // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION      {5000,5000,100,5000}    // X, Y, Z, E maximum start speed for accelerated moves. E default values are good for Skeinforge 40+, for older versions raise them a lot.

#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION          3000    // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for printing moves
#define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION  3000   // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for retracts

alpha_steps_per_mm                           87.4890638670166 # Steps per mm for alpha stepper
beta_steps_per_mm                            87.4890638670166 # Steps per mm for beta stepper
gamma_steps_per_mm                           2560             # Steps per mm for gamma stepper

acceleration                                 5000             # Acceleration in mm/second/second.

References:
1. [smoothieware.org]
2. [reprap.org]
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (35.2 KB)
open | download - config.txt (14 KB)
Re: Marlin settings for NEMA23 motors
August 22, 2015 06:56PM
It turned out to be bad soldering of the pin headers which would plug in into the arduino mega. I resoldered them myself and both axes now work flawlessly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login