Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A little guidance needed please. Home built printer.

Posted by kd6hq 
A little guidance needed please. Home built printer.
July 30, 2015 02:32AM
A while back I decided that I would like to build my own printer using a RAMPS 1.4 / Arduino 2560 board set. I decided on a bed size of approximately 12 x 8 x 10". So far I have the hardware almost complete with only the end stops left to mount. I have bench tested all the motors and they do run although I have not tried them yet in the printer yet. 1 extruder has been defined with the thermistor and extra fans have been attached using the servo pins. A test program was run and the fans responded approximately. So far everything is looking good.

After I have printed some test pieces I would like to expand to 2 extruders. I would like to assign a separate material cooling fan for each extruder so that they run independently of each other. I would like the eventual board setup to be Extruder, Extruder and Bed EEB.

I have done several searches to find out what information needs to be changed in the firmware to accomplish this. So far I have been unsuccessful in finding a guide to accomplish this. I have found bits and pieces but nothing that shows everything at once so that I know that I have changed all necessary commands.

I am using the Arduino software and started with Marlin 1.0.2 firmware.

Does anyone know of such a guide or at least a good place to start reading?

Thank you for your help.

Don
Re: A little guidance needed please. Home built printer.
July 30, 2015 10:26PM
Get something like this fan extender [www.geeetech.com]

Takes 12v from 12v-aux and is sofware controlled fans on D11 And D6

You then just need to update your FAN_PIN in pins.h to D11 or D6

Second fan is a little trickier... (last I looked firmware only supported one fan) but can always be controlled with m42
M42 S(value to be written to pin) P (pin number)
Re: A little guidance needed please. Home built printer.
July 31, 2015 03:08PM
Thanks, that is the one I'm using and I have selected board type 34 (EEcool smiley so it should already be supported according to Geeetech.

Right now I have bigger problems such as, as soon as I change the extruder count to 2 I start getting compile errors.

Makes me think there is something amiss in the "temperature.cpp" file.

I have not been able to figure out how to copy the error so I make it into a *.jpg file.
Attachments:
open | download - Compile error.JPG (61.8 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login