Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help a Marlin Geek! smileys with beer

Posted by Thinkyhead 
Help a Marlin Geek! smileys with beer
July 19, 2015 05:48PM
Hey RepRappers!

I've been working as a volunteer Marlin developer for several months now, helping to move things forward, clean up issues, reduce code size, integrate new features, etc. My main role has been to oversee the code, implement and test new features, help others to bring in their contributions, and meet with other contributors and collaborators to decide what to focus on next. The Marlin project has regained a lot of vibrancy during my tenure thanks to the input and contributions of so many kind and talented people, and today the Marlin project is moving along really well. The next release, Version 1.1.0, will be the best yet, with many great improvements, which you can see listed on the Marlin Wiki. There are a few more coming along soon that I'm excited about.

• CoreXZ Support
  • More languages supported
  • G2/G3 Arcs support for Deltabot and SCARA
  • Improved automatic bed leveling (currently debugging)
  • Simplified (and shorter) Configuration files
  • Improved thermal protection algorithm
  • …and so much more

I want very much to continue focusing on coding Marlin Firmware and editing the Marlin Wiki full-time –at least a few hours each day– but obstacles are coming up in my path and I need the community's help to stay with it, otherwise I will be forced to turn my attention to other projects for a while.

As my public begging bowl, I've put up a page at GoFundMe: "Help a Marlin Geek" with various reward levels for any grateful souls who would like to help out.

I'm offering tokens – I will print a small object in PLA for donors at different levels, and I'm offering hours of 3D printer and firmware personal support, which includes OpenSCAD design, slicing, calibration, firmware configuration, and troubleshooting – anything RepRap-related, my time can be yours.

For the highest tier donors, I am offering to write a song about your generosity and vision in supporting Marlin and the RepRap Revolution, which I will perform and post on YouTube at a later date.

Some in the community have suggested that a Patreon page might be a better thing in the long run, so I am in the process of creating one of those also.

Right now I'm primarily seeking funding to get through the 1.1.0 release, and I am also accepting donations of equipment: 3D printers, printer components to test, and any other things that will help with developing support in Marlin. (At the moment the Bed Probe code is most pressing!)

As I donate my time, I hope you will join in, bring your resources, ideas, and hopes, and help me and the Marlin project to keep making Arduino-based printers work better, and to bring Marlin to more hardware. I will be providing regular updates of progress, so please follow and share!

#RepRap #3DPrinter #3DPrinting

|
| Lead Developer of Marlin Firmware
| Help support my work at Patreon and Elsewhere.
|
Re: Help a Marlin Geek! smileys with beer
July 20, 2015 01:38AM
I see lots of changes, but the most annoying part is the limited support of multi extruders. That issue isn´t even listed... confused smiley
-Olaf
July 24, 2015 05:59PM
There's actually a lot of discussion concerning improving support for a wider variety of extruders, including multi-extruders, mixing extruders like the E3D Cyclops, those that have a single nozzle and two motors, and those having two nozzles with a servo to switch between them but only a single motor that reverses direction when driving the other input. If you're just looking for multi-extruder and "singlenozzle" support, check out MagoKimbra's custom Marlin at [github.com] which we will be integrating soon.

Some of these extruder variants are partially supported (or "supported" through hacking pins), and but in the long term I do plan to implement better support in Marlin for all of these – starting with an "Extruder" class that can accommodate as many stepper motors, heaters, sensors, and servos as you need, and then I want to do a proper "Tool Change" handler that will do whatever is required to switch between extruders (or between states of a single "extruder.") While all of these ideas are under a lot of discussion, I don't currently have access to these extruders so I can't quickly develop and test, and right now we are trying to clear up any remaining bugs so we can do a formal 1.1.0 release.

I only hope I will continue to have enough available time to devote to Marlin. All of this is going to take hundreds of hours to develop properly.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2015 06:00PM by Thinkyhead.

|
| Lead Developer of Marlin Firmware
| Help support my work at Patreon and Elsewhere.
|
July 28, 2015 09:43AM
I have tried contacting you via, 1) Funding page, 2) Goggle+ and 3) PM here. How are you going to provide assistance if we can't have timely communication?
July 28, 2015 07:21PM
Hi Alan. I responded immediately by using my email client's Reply button on July 20th, 6 working days ago, but apparently it didn't make it to you. It was a busy weekend —both life-wise and with Marlin— and I simply had not heard from you until today since my reply to your communication. As it happens I am only today catching up on my email from Friday on. I wish I could post the body of my email reply here to illustrate for the viewing audience how quickly and enthusiastically I replied to your inquiry. I am on the case, Alan. So let's continue the conversation on Google+.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2015 07:21PM by Thinkyhead.
July 28, 2015 09:20PM
Thinkyhead
Hi Alan. I responded immediately by using my email client's Reply button on July 20th, 6 working days ago, but apparently it didn't make it to you. It was a busy weekend —both life-wise and with Marlin— and I simply had not heard from you until today since my reply to your communication. As it happens I am only today catching up on my email from Friday on. I wish I could post the body of my email reply here to illustrate for the viewing audience how quickly and enthusiastically I replied to your inquiry. I am on the case, Alan. So let's continue the conversation on Google+.

Really appreciate the follow-up. I knew something happened. Figured it was my spam filter. Very excited about what you are doing!
Best,
Alan
July 31, 2015 09:37AM
It has been great communicating with you! Your efforts on Marlin are awesome! Thank you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login