Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New to firmware. Which is the latest stable version of Marlin, and where can I download it?

Posted by nope_bye 
I've been trying to install auto-leveling on my Prusa i3v kit. The version of Marlin on the board now does not have the auto-leveling script, so I need to update to a later version, but I see that versions 1.0.2 and 1.0.1 still have bugs, according to the github page.

I downloaded 1.0.2 and tried verifying it with the Arduino software and it gave me hundreds of errors. Am I missing some library or something? Thanks for you help.
It will probably always have bugs.
There doesn't seem to have been a 'stable' release for a while. The latest on github should be stable enough.

What were the errors?
ArduinoIDE repeats itself a bit over the same error.
You sure it wasn't a connection error?

Can your kit supplier send you a configured version of Marlin?

-a
Did you use Arduino 1.0.6? (1.6.5 won't work)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2015 11:09AM by Glenn.
I have been using the recent versions for months, and never have errors . . .

-Tim
tadawson
I have been using the recent versions for months, and never have errors . . .

-Tim

I still have problems:

On Arduino 1.6.5 with Marlin 1.0.2 on Mac OS X 10.10.4:

Building sketch:

Arduino: 1.6.5 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

temperature.cpp: In function 'void manage_heater()':
temperature.cpp:665: error: unable to find a register to spill in class 'POINTER_REGS'
}
^
temperature.cpp:665: error: this is the insn:
(insn 60 59 62 4 (set (reg/vconfused smileyF 65 [ pid_input ])
(memconfused smileyF (post_inc:HI (reg:HI 103 [ ivtmp.193 ])) [4 MEM[base: _101, offset: 0B]+0 S4 A8])) temperature.cpp:449 99 {*movsf}
(expr_list:REG_INC (reg:HI 103 [ ivtmp.193 ])
(nil)))
temperature.cpp:665: confused by earlier errors, bailing out
unable to find a register to spill in class 'POINTER_REGS'

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
enabled in File > Preferences.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2015 11:10AM by Glenn.
Any chance you took a config file from a different version, threw it in this on, and tried to compile? That almost never works, since they change . . .

Oh, and I just looked . . . I actually never went to 1.6.5 on this system, but 1.6.4 has been flawless on 1.0.0, 1.0.2, and 1.0.3-dev . . .

- Tim
tadawson
Any chance you took a config file from a different version, threw it in this on, and tried to compile? That almost never works, since they change . . .

Oh, and I just looked . . . I actually never went to 1.6.5 on this system, but 1.6.4 has been flawless on 1.0.0, 1.0.2, and 1.0.3-dev . . .

- Tim

1.6.5 uses a separate "preferences.txt" in a different folder (1.6.5 itself created that folder).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2015 12:14PM by Glenn.
But you said that nothing past 1.0.6 worked, which I continue to call BS on . . . smiling smiley

- Tim
tadawson
But you said that nothing past 1.0.6 worked, which I continue to call BS on . . . smiling smiley

- Tim

FYI:

"Did you use Arduino 1.0.6? (1.6.5 won't work)"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2015 12:27PM by Glenn.
Which implies that you need to go to a jurasically antique version of IDE, implying that nothing else works, despite the Marlin release notes no longer making this statement or claim . . . had you suggested 1.6.4, I'd be right there with you . . .

Myself, I'm not a fan of an obsolete toolkit . . .

- Tim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2015 01:37PM by tadawson.
tadawson
Which implies that you need to go to a jurasically antique version of IDE, implying that nothing else works, despite the Marlin release notes no longer making this statement or claim . . . had you suggested 1.6.4, I'd be right there with you . . .

Myself, I'm not a fan of an obsolete toolkit . . .

- Tim

Hi Tim

I will try to interpret your answer, that you think it would be a good idea to use e.g. 1.6.4 :-)

PS: I have now downloaded 1.6.5r3... surprise...

If you look at the Arduino page - it writes:

"...ARDUINO 1.0.6 / 1.5.x / 1.6.x
PREVIOUS RELEASES
Download the previous version of the current release, the classic Arduino 1.0.x, or the Arduino 1.5.x Beta version...."

It seem that they promote the classic Arduino 1.0.x (I skipped the Arduino 1.5.x Beta)

The newest 1.6.x did not work - then I used Arduino 1.0.6. That is it.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2015 02:22PM by Glenn.
You made a relatively clueless choice to run an ancient toolkit, based on a casual comment that has not been updated, and you blindly defend it. Never mind the fact that most, if not all, of the new stuff works flawlessly . . .

Never mind the fact that they wrote the new ones because the old was deficient/broken/feature poor . . . Not sure you can even build for a Due on those fossilized releases . . .

Got it . . . we are done here . . .

- Tim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2015 02:59PM by tadawson.
tadawson
You made a relatively clueless choice to run an ancient toolkit, based on a casual comment that has not been updated, and you blindly defend it. Never mind the fact that most, if not all, of the new stuff works flawlessly . . .

Never mind the fact that they wrote the new ones because the old was deficient/broken/feature poor . . . Not sure you can even build for a Due on those fossilized releases . . .

Got it . . . we are done here . . .

- Tim

Hi Tim

My 3D-printer background:

I am new to 3D-printer stuff. I started two weeks ago assembling the printer (Prusa i3 hephestos). I have barely scratched the surface. I admit that I made a quick choice when testing the firmware on the board, I have available. It looked like he has had the same problem as me.

I have trouble with the printer head it leaks plastic when printing - one drop per five minutes.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2015 03:21PM by Glenn.
Hey, I'm fine with whatever works for you . . . But to suggest to someone who is having problems to regress to something that may have even more problems . . . Well, I just don't go there myself.

Now you have me wanting to put on 1.6.5 and see if there is an issue on my end. 1.6.4 had a dynamically linked avrdude loader (unlike static for 1.6.3) that would not run on my box, but that was a trivial fix . . .

- Tim

PS: 1.6.5 is compiling cleanly here as well . . . not an exhaustive test, but nothing overtly broken either . . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2015 06:02PM by tadawson.
Are you using 1.6.5 on Windows?

I tried 1.6.4 on Windows and had a lot of problems which, as a newbie, had me very confused and frustrated. [forums.reprap.org] Reverting to 1.0.5-r2 sorted those problems. Since then I am aware of a a few others that had similar issues and solved them the same way. As a result, I'm nervous to move to 1.6.5 but do believe in keeping software up to date. If you are finding that 1.6.5 is working well I will try to upgrade.

Please let me know your operating systems to help me make that decision.

Thanks

Richard
Linux. I wouldn't let my dog poop in the box Windows came in, for fear he'd catch something :-) :-)

Honestly, I have no use for WhinDuhs whatsoever, so have never tested there . . .

There are, however enough users of Win*, that I can't imagine it staying broken for long. Looking at your other thread, those are errors due to sloppy programming that the older kit just ignored . . . successful error checking does not a bug make!

- Tim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2015 02:45AM by tadawson.
You're all insane, I just compiled Marlin v1.0.2 using Arduino v1.6.5 on windows 7 x64 with no errors.

To the OP: Make sure you're properly configuring everything and you have the correct motherboard selected and that you have the correct board and processor selected in the arduino ide.

If you use a full graphic LCD panel you might need the u8glib
ntoff
You're all insane, I just compiled Marlin v1.0.2 using Arduino v1.6.5 on windows 7 x64 with no errors.
[snip]

Not sure I'd go that far - I may be a bit loopy perhaps, but insaneconfused smiley

Anyway, despite that interlude, I am happy to report that Win 7 64 bit, Arduino 1.6.5-r2 works with Marlin

Richard
Where do I look to see my version of Marlin?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login