Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing without Z endstop/probe

Posted by Son 
Son
Printing without Z endstop/probe
April 11, 2015 06:01AM
Hello smiling smiley
I can't make proximity probe work (http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?219,491746) in any way so I'm considering buying endstop for Z Axis, but it will take time to deliver.
For now.. My question is - Can I hardcode Z position? So my printer would know where exactly surface is.
I know it's pointless, as moving axis when it's offline would destroy hardcoded calibration, but still I'd like to do it.
I use Marlin, Printrun (pronterface) and Slic3r.

Thanks for help!
Re: Printing without Z endstop/probe
April 11, 2015 06:18AM
Here's one way, assuming you have a Cartesian printer. Home X and Y. Heat the bed and nozzle to operating temperature. Command the head to about the centre of the bed, and command the head down in stages until it just grips a piece of ordinary copier paper, using 0.1mm or smaller steps at the end. Then send G92 Z0 to define that position as Z=0. Then command the head up a few mm, remove the paper, and print.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Son
April 11, 2015 10:18AM
When I hit "Print" (after your instructions) my Z axis still wants to home itself.
Here's my Configuration.h from Marlin [pastebin.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2015 10:33AM by Son.
April 11, 2015 02:03PM
Son
When I hit "Print" (after your instructions) my Z axis still wants to home itself.
Here's my Configuration.h from Marlin [pastebin.com]

There is probably a G28 command in the start gcode of the file you are trying to print. If you sliced it yourself, remove the G28 command from the start gcode in your slicer configuration. If you got the gcode file from somewhere else, open it with a text editor and remove or comment out the G28 line.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Son
April 11, 2015 02:35PM
It did the trick! But my nema motors are really hot, I believe they are overheating and that's the reason print doesn't even start.. Willl figure it out.
Thanks for help smiling smiley
April 11, 2015 03:20PM
Son
It did the trick! But my nema motors are really hot, I believe they are overheating and that's the reason print doesn't even start.. Willl figure it out.
Thanks for help smiling smiley

You need to reduce the stepper motor currents. If you are using Stepstick-type drivers, there is a small potentiometer on them for this purpose. The more advanced controller boards with built-in drivers generally let you control the currents in software.

Son
April 11, 2015 03:27PM
I have got DRV8825 drivers. Can reducing current be done at face value? If not I guess reading driver's docs will help me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login