Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RamBo + Marlin - problem with reprapdiscount smartcontroller.

Posted by kent 
RamBo + Marlin - problem with reprapdiscount smartcontroller.
March 26, 2015 05:05PM
Hi. I'm currently trying to get a Rambo motherboard (Ultimachine setup) integrated with a reprap discount smartcontroller and am having a weird problem.

On the hardware side, it was necessary to break out the wires from the controller to match the board, this was done according to the instructions in this resource: [www.geneb.org].

On the software side, I'm usng stock marlin code recently downloaded from the project repository. The Rambo board profile for Arduino didn't seem to be compatible with 1.06+ so I downgraded the IDE to 1.05 and set the board selection to "Rambo". Other than that, I simply enabled the relevent defines in "configuration.h" to indicate there was a Discount Smartcontroller. The project will build and flash to motherboard with no problems or errors.

So almost everything on the controller appears to be working. The display powers up and shows the expected info screen, the rotary encoder will change the percentage on the info screen, inserting/removing the SD card results in the correct message being displayed, and pressing the kill button results in the expected response. The problem happens when the encoder button is clicked. When any button connected to the indicated pin is pressed, the software will freeze and a continious tone is played through the speaker (which, at least in this case, also seems to be working). I did a double-check by connecting the kill button to the encoder-click input pin, with the same results.

I checked in Rambo_pins.h, and there wasn't anything obvious (caveat:inexperience). Any ideas where to look to track the issue down?
Re: RamBo + Marlin - problem with reprapdiscount smartcontroller.
March 26, 2015 07:01PM
My recent hacking of the Marlin firmware suggests that there are quite a few bugs in the LCD Display code due to recent commits with a domino effect: the commits solve one problem or add a nifty feature but create another three undetected ones.

My suggestion is to try to compile an older commit of Marlin (let's say, 6 months old) and then if that compiles correctly, work your way through more recent commits until you reach the commit that introduced the bug you are observing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login