Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin, where are auto bed level probed values held?

Posted by stuuk 
Marlin, where are auto bed level probed values held?
February 25, 2015 11:46AM
Hi all

I don't have an auto bed leveling system but i do have a bent heated bed on my Prusa i3 such that the centre across the x axis is around 0.2mm higher than the four corners.
Impossible to level the whole bed but only really affects the first few layers but a pita when printing something large and flat.

Ive tried bending it slightly but the bonded heater element just makes it spring back and i dont want to bend it too far in case the element breaks.

I was thinking if i enabled auto leveling the probed z values would all be identical with the conventionally fixed z endstop.
However if I can manually change these variables I think it would be possible to enter measured values from the bed to compensate for the bend,
Obviously it wont be as accurate as a full auto probe but I reckon I can get it close.

Are the z probe values held anywhere accessible and can they be manually changed after the auto level routine?

Thanks

Stu.
Re: Marlin, where are auto bed level probed values held?
February 25, 2015 11:33PM
Hi,

if i am not misstaken, there are Servos for auto leveling in the corners of the bed (hence the name).
Thus changing thouse values should do nothing if you don't have any Servos attached.
Even if this would not be the case, you would shift the Problem upward, because your printed Layers would have
the same Shape as your bent Printbed.
Why don't you put some glass on top?
February 26, 2015 01:54AM
You cant level a bended bed!

Triffid Hunter's Calibration Guide --> X <-- Drill for new Monitor Most important Gcode.
February 26, 2015 01:37PM
More explanation would have been helpful.
No worries
February 26, 2015 05:39PM
@0backbone0

"if i am not misstaken, there are Servos for auto leveling in the corners of the bed (hence the name)."

You are very wrong.

All it is is a probe that measures several points on the bed, then software transforms the object your printing so that the object is flat on the bed. Thus the print is level on the bed, no matter what angle the bed is really on.

But as pointed out, this will not help a warped bed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 05:41PM by Dust.
February 27, 2015 04:01AM
The levelmechanism measures some point. With these points it calculates a plane. A flat plane.

With the bed_grid-option it is something like least squares.
If your bed is warped it makes also a plane through the measured points, but it makes allways a flat plane. Just the 'error' is minimized.

Triffid Hunter's Calibration Guide --> X <-- Drill for new Monitor Most important Gcode.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login