Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin + Bluetooth + SD Card

Posted by TheVDM 
Marlin + Bluetooth + SD Card
December 20, 2014 02:17PM
Hello all,

I think this would come under firmware rather than the forums for RAMPS.

I am awaiting delivery of a RAMPS 1.4 kit that comes with the smart 12864 controller board (128x64 dot matrix display and SD card for direct printing). I am also interested in purchasing a bluetooth module to connect to the RAMPS 1.4 board for wireless printing.

Does the bluetooth module with Marlin firmware simply allow me to 'stream' a gcode file from my computer to the controller, requiring my computer to be running as it would if the printer was connected via USB? Or would the bluetooth module allow me to transfer gcode files from my computer to the smart 12864 SD card (meaning my computer can be switched off once printing starts)?

Even more so, with a bluetooth module installed can you also control the printer in a similar fashion that octoprint allows, i.e. motor movements, starting prints from the SD card etc...?

I do dabble in coding but am curious to the current level of interaction via the bluetooth module before I decide to purchase one to add onto the RAMPS board.

p.s. The use of Marlin isn't 100% necessary, if another firmware would allow more function via bluetooth I would be happy to re-flash the arduino,

Thank you
Jim
Re: Marlin + Bluetooth + SD Card
December 28, 2014 05:30AM
In reality most repraps are old fashioned serial devices

It is just serial over usb for a the standard usb cable

bluetooth is just serial over blue tooth

You control it just like normal just over blue tooth.

You can upload to sd and print over blue tooth, but will be slow to upload as your using real serial baud rates. Same issue when uploading over serial over usb.
Most copy files to SD card and move the sd to the printer.

Other boards use other methods to avoid the baud rate issues over usb.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login