Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Noob needs help with firmware

Posted by Ryan_M 
Noob needs help with firmware
November 14, 2014 01:16PM
I'm finalizing construction of my Prusa i2 which has an Azteeg X1 and will be starting on the software setup soon. I've been searching for guides and information, and they all seem to give a list of half a dozen programs and drivers I need to download and then say just hit a button and watch the LEDs blink on the board as the firmware is flashed and I'm ready to go. Seems to me there might be some vital information missing in these guides... First I see there is a variety of firmware to choose from like marlin, sprinter, etc, which may be a eeny meeny miny moe affair for me as I haven't seen anything to suggest one is better than the other or even if they will all work. Second, I assume there needs to be some sort of printer configuration to go along with the firmware or is this all done in the software after the fact?

Maybe these answers are staring me straight in the face but I don't know enough to know what I'm looking at yet. I could use some help to get started. I'd really like a guide that explains everything rather then just how to get the job done without learning what's going on - if such a thing exists.

Thanks for any help,
Ryan
Re: Noob needs help with firmware
November 15, 2014 05:06AM
most have a configuration.h which has many many many setting for your printer.

But only 3 things really need set, the rest are settable in eeprom later.

motherboard type
thermistor types
enable eeprom

later you may need to invert axis and adjust endstop settings

marlin is a current firmware, sprinter has mostly be abandoned

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2014 05:07AM by Dust.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login