Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin Firmware/LCD Display Text Scrape

Posted by squidwardbob 
Marlin Firmware/LCD Display Text Scrape
October 14, 2014 02:37PM
Sorry if this is in the wrong place on the forums...

Is there a way to "scrape" or query the Marlin Firmware via USB to get the display text on the LCD? I would love to be able to send the display text to my phone via text msg or email at regular intervals while in other parts of my home. After a print finishes, i'd love to also confirm that the heaters were turned off and things are cooling down successfully. I have a webcam on the build platform to ensure a print is not printing wildly, but to put a second webcam on the display would be a waste in my opinion. I'm also setting up a new Raspberry Pi with camera and would love to have it pull the display text and overlay that with the live build platform video stream. Any thoughts on how that might be accomplished? I'm using a Makerfarm i3 8".

Thanks!
Re: Marlin Firmware/LCD Display Text Scrape
October 14, 2014 04:24PM
Why not use gcode commands to get printer status / temp / etc and send that to your phone?

M27 gets the status of the current print. M105 gets the current extruder temperature. The reprap wiki has a reference.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
October 14, 2014 07:15PM
M27 only gets the status of an SD print - at least that's how it's described here
October 14, 2014 09:30PM
I would suggest checking out Octoprint. I run this on a raspberry pi connected to the network. Means I can check out exactly what is happening anywhere. Heck I can even control the printer remotely. Of course you need a spare computer to run it on. But you could then expose it to the net for controlled access from there.
October 15, 2014 08:51AM
Octoprint is the ticket! That is one nice system and I can't believe I haven't seen that before. Had it up and running in 15 minutes using my Rasp Pi and Camera module. Very nice streaming video and the data/controls available are excellent. Gives me video of the build platform as well as the temps. Perfect!

Thank you for pointing that out joco_nz!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login