Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Repetier / Marlin question (Newbie)

Posted by Replace 
Repetier / Marlin question (Newbie)
August 24, 2014 09:00AM
Hi All,

I am getting a bit puzzled, so that's why this probably silly question ?

What's the difference between Repeties and Marlin ? Is it compatible ?

This is why:

My Orca came pre-installed, with Marlin on a Gen6-deluxe. I think that board crashed. It's dead!
So I purchased a set of Arduino Mega + Ramps + 3-wire opto's (Gen6 uses 4) to modify the machine.

In mean time, my Rostock mini arrived, also on Arduino mega with Ramps, but with Repetier firmware.
All documentation only mention Repetier code.

So to progress with my Orca Rebuild, I would suggest that I upload the Marlin code to the Arduino Mega. Not repeater code.
Original Orca instructions require to select Sanguino board in the Arduino shell (probably Gen6 is a propriarity Samguino ?) so when ì select Arduino Mega instead for the new boards.... ?

Wil that work ? Or is Arduino meant for Repetier , or ...

One issue remains: In latest Arduino download, no Sanguino board can be selected. However , the Arduino set from Orcabot has that option, so I could use that version.

You see: Newbie :-)

Thomas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2014 09:02AM by Replace.

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
Re: Repetier / Marlin question (Newbie)
August 24, 2014 08:03PM
Both Marlin and Repetier firmware run on Arduino processors like the Mega2560. Do you prefer Coca Cola or Pepsi? Same deal with firmware. Repetier is better optimized in some regards, but one of the many Marlin branches has good delta auto-leveling code. For a RAMPS board on a Cartesian printer starting from scratch, Repetier's web-based config builder is probably easier to use than editing Marlin config files. If there is an existing Marlin config for your old board, you may want to start with that and modify the settings to work with the RAMPS.....
August 24, 2014 09:28PM
To add to the confusion, there is also a Repetier host program (which can work with marlin firmware)
August 25, 2014 04:25AM
vreihen
If there is an existing Marlin config for your old board, you may want to start with that and modify the settings to work with the RAMPS.....

Thanks for the explanation.

I found an Marlin code deck for my previous Gen6 board.
I am now looking at differences that might be forced by Ramps, like f.i. the end-stop handling and the Board type number.

My first change compiled with no error :-) Still a bit shivvering to put it on th eprinter. But than again, I have to rebuild the opt's any how so no hurry.

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
January 12, 2016 12:35PM
How can I upload firmware with Arduino to this printer? Compile works, but upload does not.
EDIT: Replied to wrong thread...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2016 12:35PM by woutwoot.
August 21, 2016 10:39AM
Hi,
Repetier 0.92.9 vs Rich cattell marlin vs Marlin RC7 ?
Which is the best for delta on arduino 2560 plus ramps 1.4 ?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login