Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z-axis home calibration

Posted by sodonnell 
Z-axis home calibration
August 06, 2014 04:59PM
So I am working on a my first printer, prusa i3, and this is one thing I cannot wrap my head around.

If you use the paper technique to set your z-axis height and input the g-code command in pronterface to tell it basically this is Z0 does it keep track of this information when the printer is shut off and then a new print is started? Is this kept track of based on the start and end locations used in the slicer program?

I really do not want to rely on my z-axis endstop to make sure my z-axis starting location is at the correct height. Any information on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Z-axis home calibration
August 07, 2014 11:51AM
sodonnell
I really do not want to rely on my z-axis endstop to make sure my z-axis starting location is at the correct height. Any information on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

The z axis switch sets your Z height.
Personally I got tired of setting my Z height after 4-5 prints so I modified my printer to do an auto bed level before every print. Perfect Z height and no more fussing about with the Z switch.
August 07, 2014 12:04PM
Floyd
Personally I got tired of setting my Z height after 4-5 prints so I modified my printer to do an auto bed level before every print. Perfect Z height and no more fussing about with the Z switch.

How did you go about setting up an auto level routine?
August 07, 2014 01:42PM
Thanks Floyd,

I didn't even know that existed. I'll do some research and see if I can get it working. I will post the results here.
August 08, 2014 09:33AM
So I have seen two basic methods for auto leveling. The method using an RC stepper with the limit switch next to the extruder and the method where the sensor is hit by the x-axis motor mount using a screw. The RC stepper method seems to be more supported however the x-axis method seems to be more accurate. Does anyone have any thoughts on the best method of auto leveling?
August 12, 2014 02:53PM
Personally I use the RC servo and endstop way.
Its a little bit of a pain to set up but its worth it.
I just home normally with M28 then send the M29 after it to start the auto bed level routine.
The little servo and arm take care of the rest.
August 12, 2014 05:31PM
Thanks Floyd,

I was leaning towards that method, I guess great minds think alike grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login