Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Change from 8 micro steps to 16 Micro steps

Posted by Velocity 
Change from 8 micro steps to 16 Micro steps
June 02, 2014 01:12PM
I had my delta Printer working with the arduino ramp set to 8 micro steps. I printed many parts with good
success . Then I thought why not get better resolution and change it to 16 microsteps. I changed the Marlin
config H file to the new steps per unit changed the ramp to 16 micro steps. The machine homes the same except it is smother a good thing.
It prints the parts the correct size as before but the prints are not completing I am getting a lot of skips in the
extrusion the build time is very very slow now. Even if I run the same parts as before they do not
come out nearly as good as before. I must have been luck to have started with the steppers set to 8
micro stepps other wise I would have really be pulling out my hair. But what has change or needs to be adjusted
to let me use 16 micro steps??

Ron
Re: Change from 8 micro steps to 16 Micro steps
June 03, 2014 06:29AM
Doubling microstepping roughly doubles required processing power, so your CPU might be simply exhausted. Try printing at half speed intentionally.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Re: Change from 8 micro steps to 16 Micro steps
June 03, 2014 12:18PM
That is what I was thinking but have not seen any one else having this problem. Also When I changed to 16 micro stepping the machine went out of adjustment.
I started to have a dome in the middle of the travel . The platen no longer kept the correct hight all the way across the x travel direction or the Y travel direction.

The speed of the machine was already half as fast as before..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login