Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin firmware enabling LCD display

Posted by Novo 
Marlin firmware enabling LCD display
April 27, 2014 11:27AM
Hello all
I have a RepRap Mendel with Arduino and Ramps v1.3. I finally have everything calibrated and running well and just wanted to add an LCD screen for the feedback.
I'm pretty certian I have all the wires correct on the LCD to Ramps, but my issue is compiling marlin after un-commenting. The instructions to enable Ultra LCD "which is what I have" are below.

Adjust Marlin configuration

Marlin has LCD support by default, you just need to enable it in the configuration.

Find the following code in configuration.h:

//LCD and SD support
//#define ULTRA_LCD

Uncomment it, so it states:

//LCD and SD support
#define ULTRA_LCD

Find the following lines:

#ifdef ULTRA_LCD
#define LCD_WIDTH 16
#define LCD_HEIGHT 2
#endif

Change LCD_WIDTH and LCD_HEIGHT to match your display characters/lines.

Once I do the things it list above I recieve a compile error that looks like this.............

ultralcd.cpp:33: error: initializer-string for array of chars is too long
In file included from ultralcd.cpp:38:
ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h:200: error: 'LCD_PINS_RS' was not declared in this scope
ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h:200: error: 'LCD_PINS_ENABLE' was not declared in this scope
ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h:200: error: 'LCD_PINS_D4' was not declared in this scope
ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h:200: error: 'LCD_PINS_D5' was not declared in this scope
ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h:200: error: 'LCD_PINS_D6' was not declared in this scope
ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h:200: error: 'LCD_PINS_D7' was not declared in this scope

I'm not certian what it's saying, the pins it claims I've not declared are the pins I'm using but apparently they need to be defined in the sketch and I'm not sure what to do about the char string too long??
Any help would be great
Thanks in advance.
Re: Marlin firmware enabling LCD display
April 29, 2014 02:02AM
I'd look around in pins.h, checking [github.com] and for whether your chosen section defines those pins.

Much of the of the ULTRA_LCD code bits seem to expect NEWPANEL to be defined as well.

The error might be trying to fit whatever WELCOME_MSG, MACHINE_NAME or CUSTOM_MENDEL_NAME add up to into the width of your display.
December 08, 2014 11:56PM
Hi,

do you found a solution ? I have the same Problem ?

Stefan
December 09, 2014 08:52AM
Stefan
One of the things they were correct about was I changed the line: WELCOME_MSG, MACHINE_NAME or CUSTOM_MENDEL_NAME
If you changed the line for the custom message and it's more letters than will fit on your screen, you will get this error.

The rest of the lines to un-comment instructions I listed above in the original question worked fine.
Make sure the lines:

#ifdef ULTRA_LCD
#define LCD_WIDTH 16
#define LCD_HEIGHT 2
#endif

Are un-commented and have the correct size "16 Width / 2 Height
and the welcome message line:

#define CUSTOM_MENDEL_NAME "Let's Print"
Has no mre than 16 chars, "Lets Print" is my custom message

Good luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2014 08:55AM by Novo.
December 09, 2014 03:20PM
Thanks,

i had haved the wrong fimwar. now it works

Thank you

Stefan
December 09, 2014 11:48PM
Glad you got it fixed
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login