Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin stuttering for small circles...

Posted by svanteg 
Marlin stuttering for small circles...
April 22, 2014 05:33AM
I am running a fork of the latest Marlin firmware on my Mendel90. I am generally very pleased with Marlin and the smoothness of motion which translates into high quality prints. One issue though is bothering me - when small circles or tight curves are printed I can hear (and feel) a distinct "stutter" or vibration from the motors. My guess is that the tight curve is a sequence of small segments that are too curved to allow full speed, so Marlin breaks for each vertex and then accellerates again - maybe 20-30 times a second - which shakes the printer. With higher speeds this happens for larger curves as well. The consequence is that the finish is ruined as each stop leads to a slight overdeposition and the acceleration a sligth underdeposition.

Is this a known problem and is there any setting to regulate it - e.g. by filtering out high frequency speed changes?
Re: Marlin stuttering for small circles...
August 14, 2014 04:46PM
did you ever get an answer to this problem?
Re: Marlin stuttering for small circles...
August 16, 2014 05:34AM
Unfortunately no. I think this happens when the jerk limit is reached for tight segmented curves at high speed. In a way the firmware is doing its best. One solution would be to reduce the commanded speed in gcode.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login