Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What's happening in my controller?

Posted by Charles Fried 
What's happening in my controller?
February 27, 2014 04:25PM
I'm really curious as to know what is happening between the different components on my controller (Melzi).

As far as I'm aware the gcode created by the slicer is a long list of coordinates.
This is then somehow processed by the stepper drivers which converts it into an electric pulse which translate to the correct number of steps for the according distance?!

If anyone has a deeper understanding of the process and is willing to explain I'd really appreciate it.
Is there an article anywhere about this?

Thanks

Charles
Re: What's happening in my controller?
February 27, 2014 04:58PM
It's a mathematical calculation within the firmware in your electronics from coordinates to how many steps your motor should take to get to those coordinates.
Re: What's happening in my controller?
February 28, 2014 11:56PM
Your G code is basically a program. Your electronics contains a microprocessor which "runs" this program. It converts the instructions from the G code into voltages to drive the stepper drivers at the appropriate speeds in a coordinated fashion. At the same time, also by interpreting the G code, it is monitoring temperatures through thermistors and turning heaters on and off through MOSFETs which are essentially relays. The MOSFET switches the high current needed by the heaters so the microprocessor does not have to (actually the microprocessor is incapable of it)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login