Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin + Discount Smart Controllersad smiley

Posted by T34r_A_Bit3 
Marlin + Discount Smart Controllersad smiley
January 16, 2014 08:44PM
Hey guys, I need some help? I'm new to the 3D printer and Arduino world and have been having some issues with a second hand printer I received. I'm familiar with the concepts of programming and am pretty technical/DIY, so it's rather frustrating that I'm having this issue.

My printer is running on RAMPS 1.4 with Marlin firmware.

I've been attempting to enable the RepRap LCD Smart Controller for a few days now, and have had no success, other than enabling the kill switch.
Yes, I've followed the instructions located here , but still am unable to get any characters on the display at all. (I tried adjusting the contrast). For whatever reason, In both of the tutorials, old and new, the lines indicated for the location of settings are different than that of my firmware(s).

I'm not sure what version of Marlin, exactly, the Arduino has loaded, but I've tried instructions for both the old and new methods. I've went as to so far as to download the latest firmware from github, Marlin V1, and edited those settings (seemingly easier, but still no proper display) and uploaded that. I have the original file backed up multiple times, so I'm not worried about losing the setup. I tried putting DOGLCD and U8GLIB in my libraries for MV1 and the Arduino install directory, (as "ifdef REPRAP_DISCOUNT_LCD_CONTROLLER" has those as defined, but I can't find mention of them anywhere else, so I DL'd them.

What's the deal? Am I missing something here? I feel like an idiot... Can someone please walk me through the steps required here? What's this business about Gerber files found at the "here" link and all? Any one else have the same problem and perhaps resolve it? (tried search, so please don't point me in that direction lol)
Am I just missing some simple thing?

Much appreciated, have a great day smiling smiley
Re: Marlin + Discount Smart Controllersad smiley
January 21, 2014 02:15AM
i've got a similar panel, and i got it running without probs.
I didn't do "step 3". in the link, and i didn't change "pins.h". It just worked "out of the box". Maybe you got the libs in the wrong folder? I didn't use any gerber-files, too...dunno what it is. I'm not at home atm, so i can't check...i think i installed some u8glib-libs and some liquidcrystal (or something).....libs, but i can't find the source now. I'll check today in the evening if you can't find it.
Sorry i can't be more precise, it's just out of my head ;-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login