Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Axis moving in same direction for +/- Command

Posted by mtg5072 
Axis moving in same direction for +/- Command
December 21, 2013 04:53PM
Hey running into a bit of a problem which I can't seem to figure out..

Finishing up my printer, had all the axis running, but my Y-axis started not working correctly. When I drive in either the positive or negative direction, the axis moves only in the positive direction for both positive and negative commands. I would consider it an opto firmware problem, but when I did some trouble shooting by changing around axis motors, the endstop does stop the axis with the positive commands, but continues to crash into the opto with the negative command. I am currently using RAMPS 1.4 and opto endstops. So far, the trouble shooting I have done is:

- Switched x and y endstops
- Switched x and y motors, Y motor worked in both directions
- Switched x and y motor, x motor worked in y spot in one direction
- Switched x and y stepper drivers, ran y axis from x controls both directions
- Loaded Sprinter firmware, same problem

To me it seems the problem could the RAMPS or the firmware. My background is in mechanical engineering so I can say much on how the failure of any wiring component could cause this communication problem. Firmware could also be the issue, but my changes to the config file match that of my working X-axis.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it! So close, but so far...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2013 04:54PM by mtg5072.
Re: Axis moving in same direction for +/- Command
December 24, 2013 03:19PM
Check continuity of the Y_DIR trace from processor to stepper driver.

If it's not that, check whether the voltage on Y_DIR changes when you try to change direction; if it doesn't (and given that you've already tried using different firmware), that processor pin may be faulty, so try using a different one (cut trace, connect with wire to one of the spare pins, change firmware Y_DIR_PIN setting to match).
Re: Axis moving in same direction for +/- Command
December 27, 2013 03:41AM

(cut trace, connect with wire to one of the spare pins, change firmware Y_DIR_PIN setting to match).

Uhm ... very very often it's just a firmware misconfiguration. Marlin and Sprinter have a long track record of this type of problem, because they insist on checking endstops during normal moves. A behaviour which can be turned off and doesn't exist in Teacup Firmware.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login