Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1/32 Micro Stepping, Marlin Firmware and Ramps 1.4 ?

Posted by changfrancis 
1/32 Micro Stepping, Marlin Firmware and Ramps 1.4 ?
June 25, 2013 01:57AM
Hello all,

I am exploring the 1/32 microstepping. I will like to know if Ramps V1.4 able to support a 1/32 stepper driver like
[www.pololu.com] or [www.panucatt.com]

after we install the stepper driver to a RAMPS V1.4. I understand we need to set the MS1 MS2 MS3 to correct setting to enable 1/32 stepping. Does anyone know how do we do it on RAMPS ? Software or hardware method ?

In Marlin Firmware, do we need to set any setting in to enable the function ?

With thanks.
Re: 1/32 Micro Stepping, Marlin Firmware and Ramps 1.4 ?
June 25, 2013 03:51PM
I'm not there yet, but I was planning on going with the 1/32 microstep (DRV8825??) from pololu with a printer I am in the middle of building. My understanding is that with all the jumpers in place you get the 1/32 microstepping, and it will work fine with Marlin, except that you need to double the steps/mm calibration settings on each axis that is using a new driver. (that is assuming you had previously calibrated with 1/16 microstepping drivers).

I do not believe that the reprap calculator has been modified to allow specification os 1/32 microstepping, but if you enter 1/16, just double the number you get out.
July 01, 2013 08:44PM
I couldn't keep them going at 1/32nd. It would overload the CPU on my Mega. That was with .9 steppers, 20 tooth gear, and 100mm/s print speeds. If your going for accurate and keep speeds down it might work. I switched to 1/4 stepping since thats still 40 steps per mm which is a lot better accuracy than I need for this.
July 01, 2013 09:42PM
Thanks. I guess i need to look for a better micro-controller.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login