Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Another avrdude: stk500_getsync error

Posted by brado 
Another avrdude: stk500_getsync error
November 27, 2012 11:09PM
Hi all. I have been trying to upload firmware to a gen6 board with no success yet. At first I couldn't even get anything to compile but I have managed to get both Marlin and Repetier to compile using Arduino 18. I understand that the error

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

is very broad error message for a communication breakdown between the board and the PC, and I have tried countless possible fixes as described in forums.
Various techniques of holding the reset button.
Pluging the USB cable in at just the right time.
Tried it on different computer.
Tried different USB cable.
Disconnected fan in case it was making EMF.
Tried a varity of com port speeds in windows.

I here's my system specs, then my questions

Win XP
Prusa with Gen 6
Current Firmware not 100% sure, my supplier is unsure as well so I suspect that it is default Marlin from Mendal parts.
Not sure what Bootloader is on it. I get the same message when I try to burn a new bootloader.

1 Now that I have firmware that has compiled successfully is it safe to assume that my problem is 'outside' of the coding. Is it possible that there is still a problem with the configuration.h file or some other file that I have failed to put in the right folder?

2 When I purchased my printer I was given a file CDM20802_Setup.exe and told to run it twice to make sure the driver is installed. From what I can tell from Google this is a driver to make the printer accessible via the com ports. This driver must also make up some part of the communication link. Could it be somehow to blame?

3 stk500 seems to be a communication protocol for the atmel chip. Does that mean I must use that protocol to program the chip? I not, how do I change the protocol.

I would appreciate any suggestions please. Below is the Full Arduino verbose Log Thanks and Regards, Brad.

Binary sketch size: 35276 bytes (of a 63488 byte maximum)
C:\Documents and Settings\user1\Desktop\18\arduino-0018\hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Documents and Settings\user1\Desktop\18\arduino-0018\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega644p -cstk500v1 -P\\.\COM4 -b38400 -D -Uflash:w:C:\DOCUME~1\user1\LOCALS~1\Temp\build6035813182925920376.tmp\Repetier.cpp.hex:i

avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Oct 11 2007 at 19:12:32
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, [www.bdmicro.com]

System wide configuration file is "C:\Documents and Settings\user1\Desktop\18\arduino-0018\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : \\.\COM4
Using Programmer : stk500v1
Overriding Baud Rate : 38400
avrdude: ser_open(): setting dtr
avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20]
avrdude: Recv:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: Send: Q [51] [20]
avrdude: Recv:
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

avrdude done. Thank you.
Re: Another avrdude: stk500_getsync error
November 28, 2012 05:55AM
Looks like the bootloader baud rate doesn't fit.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Re: Another avrdude: stk500_getsync error
November 28, 2012 01:39PM
So I guess I can't change the bootloader baud rate in the firmware, so should I just be trying different speeds in the com port settings in windows until i find one that works. I think I have tried most of them, but I will go through them all if thats what I need to do.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login