Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Configuring Teacup Firmware for Gen3 electronics.

Posted by Adam.m.Nelson 
Re: Configuring Teacup Firmware for Gen3 electronics.
December 29, 2012 01:31PM
Ok, I'll start rooting around latr today after I test the new stepper drivers for my laser cutter
December 29, 2012 08:13PM
mhm, so, when you go to a commit, then click on files, that's bringing you to the latest files again isn't it?

If it is, how do you have to manually enter in the code changes?
December 29, 2012 09:37PM
Ok I figured out how Git Hub works. So far this is what I've found

March 03 2012, extruder won't spin, machine crashes.

April 11 2011, extruder won't spin machine freezes.

Feb 20/11, Feb 17/11, Dec 1/10, won't compile back to Arduino 018, i think these are a compiler issue, and Arduino 17 and before won't run on my Win 7 box.

I think I'm done for tonight, tomorrow is another day.
December 30, 2012 11:02AM
OK, I've narrowed it down to between Nov 12 and Dec 6 2011, the extruder spins on Nov 12; but on Dec 6, Nov 21, Nov 17 the machine acts kind of glitchy.

I think I may have knocked a wire loose after my Nov 12 2011 test so I am going to go over the printer before I check anymore of the commits. But for now atleast the Nov 12 2011 was a working build, and I know the issue is between Nov 12 and Dec 6 2011. If anyone gets bored and starts checking in this range for the issue let me know.
December 30, 2012 12:20PM
OK I think the issue is right here:

Nov 17, 2011 Link to the Github page

This commit will intermittently spin the extruder once then crash the machine..
dda.c: also reset startpoint_steps.E on relative extruder movements. …
1ee4668e21 Browse code
Traumflug authored a year ago

This commit spins the extruder...
dda.c: fix a typo in update_current_position().
64b1a23cd3 Browse code

This commit crashes the machine, but i think Traumflug fixed it in the commit above
Store distances in the TARGET strucure in micrometers for all axes. …
4e5f51f01e Browse code

Can someone maybe confirm this finding? I may try to look into the code, but I don't know if I'll have time today. If someone could atleast confirm the working/not working status of this I can look into it later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2012 12:22PM by Adam.m.Nelson.
January 01, 2013 06:53AM
Looks like you get closer to the problem, Adam. Great!

As you're back in the history, can you check how close equally-named files in the main folder and in the extruder folder are? I somewhat remember they should be the same. But changing a file in the main folder doesn't change that in the extruder folder, so they get misaligned over time.

To have then always aligned, you can create e.g. a file dda.c in the extruder folder with the one-line contents:
#include "../dda.c"
Doing that would solve your type of problem once and for all.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

January 01, 2013 10:56AM
Oh, yeah, good idea. I did notice that I had to copy in some extra files sometimes. When I get a chance to dig back into it I'll look at that too.
January 28, 2013 04:20PM
I've been swamped with product launches, maybe next month i can get to this. Has anyone had a look in the mean time?
February 06, 2013 11:04PM
Ups. I cant believe ppls still try use gen 3 winking smiley

old version config files gen 3

Here are config files i used on my diy gen 3, but do note these are for a very very old version of Teacup and probably shouldnt copy the files directly coz there might be newer options. I'd advise to checkout / duplicate those temperature settings, and use the gen3 config file supplied with your version of firmware instead. The area about temperature sensors and heaters, and have the thermistor table reflect 2 thermistors. First part is the extruder thermistor which i customized/corrected by having a thermocouple inside then setting each table temperature in firmware and read actual temperature obtained there, and then replacing the read value * 4 in the table instead).

In case you cant make it work, send pm and attach the version of teacup you are trying to use and ill try modify it myself. Teacup is so good that since i changed from fived and uploaded teacup i never changed it again, and i think its like almost one2 years now.

Good luck.
February 07, 2013 01:22PM
@NoobMan

Thanks for the upload. I should be done this product launch in a month or so, and I can take a look then. If you are feeling ambitious before then let me know and I will upload my files smiling smiley
February 10, 2013 05:34PM
I have been using Teacup (tyvm for it) since a long time now on my gen 3 vanilla.

I have just changed that zip file to reflect my entire firmware folder with the config files included. That is if you dont want to browse the git for various releases to pair with.

I think i had it compiled with arduino 0018 or 19 (which was latest at that time), but not quite sure i remember it right. As currently i only keep arduino 0022 and 1.0.3 installed, i checked with 0022 and it compiles just fine. So if you install arduino 0022 (@ different location than 1.0x) it should compile with it and i bet will work too. Sry i have nothing else up to date. I havent been fiddling with the firmware at all for like one year or more, coz thats how happy i am with Teacup, just never felt the need to change anything.

You should double check the pins def, especially for heaters, i think i made some changes there (sry fuzzy memory of mine, i had one fet burned at that time). If you dont want the heated bed, you need to comment it out but also change the thermistor table accordingly to only 1 thermistor table. Also obviously you need to alter most settings like steps per mm etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2013 05:43PM by NoobMan.
May 22, 2013 08:42PM
Hey all, it's been a while. I finally had time to look back at this printer, and I can't get NoobMan's code to compile.

"Teacup_Firmware.cpp:3:22: error: WProgram.h: No such file or directory"

From what I understand WProgram.h needs to be changed to arduino.h, but.... I can't find a reference to WProgram anywhere is his code.

Any ideas?

Edit: According to Notepad++ no files in the project or the sanguino core reference WProgram.h

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2013 08:45PM by Adam.m.Nelson.
May 22, 2013 08:58PM
Right, that was with 0022, with 0018 it simply doesn't recognize arduino.h
May 23, 2013 07:14AM
You apparently use an Arduino library made for Arduino 1.0+ while using an earlier Arduino IDE.

Teacup doesn't use the Arduino libs at all, still the IDE compiles it on every build. Using the Makefile is another option to get rid of this problem.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

January 27, 2014 08:49AM
Hello,

this discussion does not seem to be active anymore, but if somebody is interested in my findings:

I was trying to setup Teacup on a Mendel with Gen3 electronics. Everything was working fine with FiveD firmware, but I was just looking for a toolchain, running more stable with Win7 64bit and being a bit more up-to-date.
I got everything up and running (X-,Y-,Z-steppers and min/max endstops, extruder and heated bed heater and thermistor seems to work, but is not yet correctly set up).
The only problem I had so far is the extruder stepper motor, which was not moving at all. I tried every Teacup commit, mentioned in this thread, all mentioned configuration files, I checked an double checked all pin settings, also against my FiveD settings.

Nothing worked, UNTIL today: I tuned up the potentiometer on the extruder controller a little bit and suddenly everything works fine !

So now I can confirm, that the latest Teacup commit on Github (1eaf711923) is working with Gen3 electronics. (compiled with Arduino0021 IDE)

Greetings,

Holger

(I hope the setup of the thermistors an heaters does not kick me back too much)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2014 09:59AM by ef9366.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login