Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin: normal estep value for extruder?

Posted by Karlberg 
Marlin: normal estep value for extruder?
November 03, 2012 03:44PM
What is a normal value for the Wades extruder in Marlin?
With my 0.35mm nozzle and 3mm PLA I get a value of 7237.2324 in the firmware and it seems that it could even be higher because there are gaps in my walls and infills...
Added a picture of a calibration print, the walls are not solid, looks very weird... Any ideas?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2012 04:14PM by Karlberg.

Prusa with cast PU parts, RAMPS 1.3, Wades extruder, J-Head hot end
Attachments:
open | download - Calibration.jpg (112.8 KB)
Re: Marlin: normal estep value for extruder?
November 03, 2012 09:28PM
The value for esteps needs to be calibrated. There is no simple answer. It depends on the gear ratio in your extruder as well as the diameter of the hobbed bolt - perhaps the most variable component. I use Greg's Wade accessible extruder, and my value for esteps is (I believe) 799.98.

There are several web sites that explain the calibration procedure. Basically you need to use the host software to extrude a certain amount of filament, and then measure how much was actually pulled in. If they differ, you need to make a change (calculated) to the value for esteps, update the firmware and iterate until you get the expected value.

Richrap's web site explains the procedure pretty well. Google for "slicer is nicer" and you should find it.
November 04, 2012 07:19AM
That is the tutorial I am following, I just wanted to know if a value of around 7000-10000 is way off or if I should continue up since it seems like not enough PLA is coming out the nozzle.

November 04, 2012 11:49AM
Well, I found out what was wrong here, the max feedrate in the FW was set to 45, when I lowered it to 5 things started to get normal...
Now I have a extruder estep of 1265, working perfectly!
This and the fact that I thought that I had a 0.35mm Jhead when in reality it is a 0.3mm Jhead caused the prints to be starved of plastic.
Lowering the layer height in Cura to 0.1mm also helped.
Right now I am printing the 20mm calibration cube and the result looks very promising indeed!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login