Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Repetier with i2c LCD - Not initing

Posted by peter6960 
Re: Repetier with i2c LCD - Not initing
January 18, 2013 01:20PM
Good old memory just kicked in too.... In the past when I had it working, was on ATmega644, not 1284! Got the 1284 to add SD, and ever since have not been able to get i2c LCD working again!

So must be some default on 1284 (or with the cores) which breaks I2C!

Please help!

peter6960 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hmmm, now things get interesting...
>
> With the new Marlin cores, I can actually run the
> I2C Scanner sketch - and it DOES NOT FIND an i2c
> device!
>
> wire my shield pins to my Uno, same sketch, finds
> device on 0x38 no problem!
>
> I did not understand TimoS's request below.
> Where can I turn I2c on/off? Checked fuse calc,
> only mention JTAG (which is disabled)
>
> Peter
>
>
> TimoS Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Compile with 0 errors/warnings? I²C switched
> off
> > in PRR? (power reduction register) SCL toggle
> at
> > startup?
January 18, 2013 02:12PM
I prog @AVR-Studio...
In the TeeCup Firmware I²C is switched off by PRR (Power Reduction Register) Standard I²C is ON!

[www.nongnu.org]

The register have stolen 1 hour of my live at begin with TeeCup and PCF8574 winking smiley

But i think is not your Problem but it can...
January 21, 2013 11:38AM
Still no new news... Hoping it doesnt run dead here
January 21, 2013 12:53PM
Can you compare running I²C with not running code? A switched on LED at some points in not running code helps to find errors...

only example...
1. IO init >LED on OK? 2. Timer init >LED on OK?...
July 10, 2013 04:12PM
Hello, people, i know tihs topic is dead, but i need some help. if ox70 is the adress with all the adress pins low, ie connected to ground, what would be the value for all adress pins hi? I\'m also having problems understanding how to use pins.h to allocate pins 26 or 27 for use with SD card? Tks regards
July 16, 2013 01:10AM
i know the topic must be dead, but there are something i need to know. How would i configure repetier for 2 ics, one adressed all high and one all low, one for lcd and buzzer and the other for 4 little buttons.
July 16, 2013 10:51AM
That is currently not supported that way. But you can easily fix that. Important is ui_check_slow_encoder and there you see it questions the display i2c. Change it against the i2c address of the button i2c and you are done. The addresses for the PCF8574 would be 0x40 and 0x4e

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
November 03, 2014 06:50PM
I know this topic must be closed but, currently, I am working to install a full graphic LCD (GLCD) on my GEN7 board and I am confused about how to set it to work under I2C connection, using a PCF8574 IO expander.
I already tried several options on Repetier but, so far, no good results.
Seems I can get communication with the Display but the caracters are totally strange!
I built my LCd board using the PCF8574 with 4 wires to connect D4 to D7 and 3 wires to connect RS, RW, and Enable in the LCD.
Since I need the U8GLIB library, I am using the option 11 on the Feature Controller option and changed the pin number to _BV(x) to reach the PCF 8574 address.
There was many errors during the compile and, changing the pins address, I was able to solve all them.
The problem is the display is not working, even without error during the compile.
Anyone had some experience in connecting a GLCD using I2C wiring?
Thanks for any input.
Cheers,
Eduardo
November 04, 2014 03:40AM
The GLCD uses software SPI as far as I know, which is already quite slow. I wonder if it is a good idea to map that over I2C somehow. It already takes 0.1 seconds to update one screen, whcih makes it unusable for e.g. delta printers. WOulnd't it b eeasier to use also software SPI with gen7? Does not use more wires then i2c.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
November 04, 2014 09:34AM
Thanks for the quick response..
I am much more an hardware guy than software!
I already have a SD card connect throught SPI (mosi, miso, sch and cs pins).
What I should do to connect the display using the same pins?
Thanks for you support!
Cheers,
Eduardo
November 04, 2014 11:06AM
No, the display driver does software SPI so you can use any 3 pins you like and that are free. I think miso is not needed here.

November 04, 2014 08:57PM
Great! i will give a try!
Just one more question .... Should I use feature controller 11 or 1 option?
And how should I can configure the display pins numbers on uiconfig.h or ui.h ?
Sorry the elementar questions!
Cheers,
Eduardo
November 05, 2014 04:43AM
Controller 11 is the only one for glcd. But it has only pin numbers in ui.h for rumba and ramps. But it still easier to use this and find the section in ui.h and adopt your pin numbers. Of course if you update more frequent you can alo set uiconfig.h with these values and settings.

November 08, 2014 07:28PM
Just an update ... Works great with SW SPI. Only added a pull down 10k resistor on GLCD RW wire . No delays!
The only problem now is with my X endstop, wich is connect to ATMEGA pin 0 (GEN7 board). For some reason, after the display setup, the endstop is keep triggered.
There is any routine in your display 11 library which could interfere with pin0 ?
thanks for your help!
Btw ... Great software!
Cheers,
Eduardo
November 09, 2014 03:28AM
Display 11 uses u8glib which I did not write:-) But I think it will only use the pins given in initalization:

#ifdef U8GLIB_ST7920
//U8GLIB_ST7920_128X64_1X u8g(UI_DISPLAY_D4_PIN, UI_DISPLAY_ENABLE_PIN, UI_DISPLAY_RS_PIN);
    u8g_InitSPI(&u8g,&u8g_dev_st7920_128x64_sw_spi,  UI_DISPLAY_D4_PIN, UI_DISPLAY_ENABLE_PIN, UI_DISPLAY_RS_PIN, U8G_PIN_NONE, U8G_PIN_NONE);
#endif

so check if one of these is 0.

November 23, 2014 01:31PM
Me again!
Solved the problem with X end stop.
Now I am facing randomic stops in middle of my prints.
Seems there is no connection with my config since I can print without any problem when in dry run mode but, in normal mode, with the extruder and bed heaters switched on, the print fail after some time.
The printer just stop and I can see a message of sd card read error on the LCD. The printer do not reset! I have all the controls over the LCD even after the error.
Any guess what could be the reason?
Some interference from the heaters over the sd card reader routine?
thanks,
Eduardo
November 23, 2014 01:59PM
You get the error if the request of the next byte to sd library is answered with an error. Then print is aborted and everything else keeps working. Since it did not happen without heaters enabled I assume some electrical interference. Perhaps the heater wires are close to sd card wires or power unit is not stable enough.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login