Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3D printed magnet coils

Posted by KalleP 
3D printed magnet coils
November 03, 2014 03:41PM
Hmm,

I have not looked recently if this has been discussed but a year ago I don't remmber that is was standard operating procedure.

However 2 days ago I read something from a company tht sells manet wire (so called enamelled copper wire) that was news to me. Now seeing this section on the forum made me want to comment here just incase it has not been discussed.

What I am talking about is self supporting coils. These are to be found most often in pancake motors and and hard drive voice coils. I have wondered in passing how much trouble it must be to make them by haaving to wind then and then impregnate them with varnsh and then wait fr them to dry withut disturbing the coil shape. Turns out I was behind the times. There is a rnge of magnet wires that have a outer layer of 'varnish' that is a bonding or adhesive layer. It is activated by solvent or heat, the heat can be supplied with a hotair gun at the time of winding or after compltion or they can be baked in an oven at a specific temperature. They are also sometimes resistance heated by passing a current (or I suppose they could be heated with an AC magnetic field if the winding is shorted out first) though them. This is interesting because the same wire could be printed with a RepRap machine and bonded as you go wiith heat (hot air desoldering tool) or solvent (Q-tip/ear-bud on an alcohol bottle).

Has anyone heard about this, has it been discussed, could it work???

For less demanding and perhaps lower temperature applications perhaps one could use a thicker polythene, ABS or PLA coated wire that could be heated whle it passs through a standard extruder but this I think may have been discussed though it would still need to have the 'varnished' wire so the turns cannot short even if the wires are pushed together. This bondable magnet wire oes seem interesting.

Here are a couple of random links I found while I was finding out about it, there are more, it is just a case of using the correct search terms.

[www.mwswire.com]
[www.superioressex.com]
[www.elektrisola.com]

Kalle
--
Lahti, Finland
The only stable form of government is Open Source Government. - Kalle Pihlajasaari 2013
Re: 3D printed magnet coils
October 06, 2015 07:47AM
What is the point of this?

ShapeForger
October 07, 2015 04:25AM
It would seem to assist with the goal of 3D printing motors. Perhaps not compact iron core motors but possibly linear motors or larger pancake type stepper motors or even higherspeed variants of the brushless 'DC' motor we find on RC gear.

Regards

Kalle
--
Lahti, Finland
The only stable form of government is Open Source Government. - Kalle Pihlajasaari 2013
November 14, 2017 08:44AM
Hello, i have to remark what u allways have very nice nad detailed respounds to post! Thanks a lot!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login