Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Additive wire laying

Posted by basdebruijn 
Additive wire laying
May 25, 2014 04:58AM
Hi there,
I recently did some experimenting with additive wire laying. I use a slew drive, concentric with the nozzle, to guide a copper wire under and just in front of the nozzle. The slew drive rotates in the direction of movement, and thus I'm able to embed the wire under plastic. In short: additive way of making copper traces.
I hope you have a use for it. I've put some more info on my blog. There's also the link to the YouTube video.
[basdebruijn.com]
Regards,
Bas
Attachments:
open | download - additive-wire-laying.jpeg (590.9 KB)
A2
Re: Additive wire laying
May 25, 2014 11:26PM
Very cool! thumbs up

How is the wire drawn out?
May 26, 2014 03:28AM
The wire gets glued to what's beneath (in this test a mirror with glue) then the movement advances and the wire is only held in the right angle.
May 26, 2014 05:50AM
Thank you for the hard work and sharing of the idea. This can also be used for the rotation of the printhead when you have a rectangular hole in the nozzle. One side of the nozzle can then follow the direction vector of the nozzle. Will be handy for the printing of concrete and other similar materials. Can also be used to add stuff like carbon fibre to a print for added strength.

You only learn when you change your mind.
[www.deltaprinter.co.za]
A2
May 26, 2014 06:03AM
OK, so you anchor the wire with tape, and when the hot end moves the wire has no choice but to be drawn out with the extrudate, I like it. Tks!

There is very fine copper wire on small spools used for fly tying, maybe you could mount a small spool on the gear.

Tks for sharing!
A2
May 26, 2014 06:08AM
Xabbax
This can also be used for the rotation of the printhead when you have a rectangular hole in the nozzle. One side of the nozzle can then follow the direction vector of the nozzle. Will be handy for the printing of concrete and other similar materials. Can also be used to add stuff like carbon fibre to a print for added strength.

Good observation!

Looking forward to what the software guru's come up with to deal with the different scenarios.
May 26, 2014 06:16AM
Xabbax
This can also be used for the rotation of the printhead when you have a rectangular hole in the nozzle. One side of the nozzle can then follow the direction vector of the nozzle.

That's a little bit complicated. The nozzle is "stationary". The only thing that gets rotated is the wire. I think it will be complicated to make a rotating nozzle, leakage issues etcetera. It's possible but not easy.
May 26, 2014 06:20AM
A2
OK, so you anchor the wire with tape, and when the hot end moves the wire has no choice but to be drawn out with the extrudate, I like it. Tks!

There is very fine copper wire on small spools used for fly tying, maybe you could mount a small spool on the gear.

yes, until I have made a second slew ring with a gripper I need to anchor it with tape. With a second slew ring the wire is positionned under the nozzle, and the plastic will anchor it in place instead if me doing the taping.
I was thinking in small spools, like with the sewing machines. I'm no fisherman, so I'll have a look at your suggestion.
A2
May 30, 2014 06:34PM
How is the wire centered in the extrudate?
June 05, 2014 01:00PM
The wire is positionned before the nozzle by the slew ring.
A2
June 06, 2014 01:39AM
Tks for your reply, I figured out how it worked the other day by studying your video, I'm looking forward to seeing what people do with it thumbs up

Where is the software that controls it?
June 06, 2014 02:12AM
I run Machinekit/LinuxCNC from a Beaglebone Black. I need to clean up the code and I'll do a pull request to get it into Machinekit.
A2
July 05, 2014 08:44PM
@basdebruijn:

How about an update smoking smiley
July 07, 2014 03:24AM
What do wou want to be updated about? smiling smiley
The next step is implementing the function of cutting the wire and improving guidance of the wire just in front of the nozzle itself.
However, before that I need to modify the effector and rearrange some stuff like fans etcetera since the fans get blocked by the parts. Resulting in less cooling of the print.
A2
July 07, 2014 03:50AM
Tks smiling smiley

Looking forward to your implementation of cutting the wire.
VDX
July 07, 2014 06:24AM
... for a soldering machine, that automatically welded wires with solid gold-cylinders I've used a 'scissors-module' for cutting the wires -- but this would be too big for wire-knitting ... better use a CO2-laser or laser-diode with enough power ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
A2
July 07, 2014 06:56AM
@VDX, how many watts do you recommend, and the laser cutter is a cool suggestion thumbs up

I was thinking a design that was similar to suture scissors would work, coupled to a solenoid, or servo motor. Suture scissors have a half moon (circular) cutout on one of the blades at the distal end which makes it easier to slip the tip of the scissor under a suture to cut. I was thinking that the circular cut could be used to guide the wire so it doesn't push away from the scissoring motion.
VDX
July 07, 2014 03:30PM
... the needed power depends on material, absorption and thermal conductivity - for coloured/dark organic wires the typical 445nm 'burning' diodes with 1W to 2W power are enough, metal wires will need much more energy and other laser types ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
July 04, 2015 10:15PM
I know this thread is a year old but does anyone have a suggestion on how to go about this with RAMPS?

A way to hack the GCODE to control a slew drive?

Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login