Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Motor Issues with 17HS13-0404S stepper motor

Posted by Davik 
Motor Issues with 17HS13-0404S stepper motor
February 06, 2018 07:22PM
I have some issues with the motors I am currently using on my 3D printer. When plugged into the Ramps 1.4 controller board and jogged, they vibrate very loudly and have very little torque. The vibration is the worst around 600mm/m and lessens the faster the motors are jogged. I know that the driver boards are not fried and the motors are not broken, because I tried them out on another 3d printer I own (a makerbot replicator 1) and they seem to work fine. The drivers are not fried, because I tried different ones on the same motor and got similar results. I also know that they are not fried, because I tried a motor of a slightly different model and it worked fine. I KNOW that 100% of the issue is in the marlin firmware I use on the printer, and I also know which values to edit to get them working smoothly.

*I am using a ramps 1.4 controller
*an arduino mega 2560
*a power source with 12 volt and 15 amp output
*marlin delta configuration (generic)
*17hs13-0404 style motors motor information
*I am also using pointerface as the printer control software running at a 250000 broadrate

The attached file is a screenshot highlighting the values that need to be changed to make them motors run smoothly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2018 07:25PM by Davik.
Attachments:
open | download - Capture.PNG (61.7 KB)
Re: Motor Issues with 17HS13-0404S stepper motor
February 06, 2018 08:02PM
Motor voltage is the rated current x the resistance. It doesn't mean you should operate a 12V motor with a 12V supply. It is normal to power the stepper driver with up to 20X the motor's rated voltage. So you really want to use low voltage/low inductance motors, especially if you're running from a 12V supply. That's a very low torque motor and you're using too low a voltage.

Get a low "voltage" rated motor- something like 1.5-3V - and current around 2A.

Check the specs on the other motor that works...

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
February 07, 2018 02:27AM
This motor might be good enough as extruder drive: high torque, low RPM.

Are you sure, you've set the Vref of your drivers correctly?
February 12, 2018 08:36PM
I am sure I set the manual pots correctly, but could you re - iterate what you mean when you are talking about the motor current? My motors operate with a 0.4 amperage current and 30 ohms resistance, so they are exactly rated at 12 volts. I do not understand the issue. Are you saying getting a motor with low resistance and high amperage? Is a 24 volt power source needed to correct this issue?
VDX
February 13, 2018 02:17AM
... the motors are driven by controlling the current through the coils -- the resulting voltage across the coils is then not the "driver voltage", but a fraction of it, defined by Ohm's law: U = I x R

"Good" motors for the common 3D-printers have rated currents of around 1.5 Amperes and "voltages" of 2 to 3 Volts.

If you support the drivers with 12V or 24V only canges the "dynamics" of the driver - so with 24V you can accelerate and run the motors faster, as with 12V ... the current setting will be the same ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login