Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Clay extruder for delta printer

Posted by boylucky 
Clay extruder for delta printer
February 22, 2017 03:11PM
Hi all, I would like to ask you about your experience with clay extruders. I would like to extend the possibility of my delta printer to be able to print from clay. I checked the reprap info about ceramic delta printer on web site
I was planning to try create my own design of the clay extruder based on tube with clay pressed by the stepper with threaded rod instead of the compressor. The extruder itselve would be placed out of the printer and there will be only tube with nozzle going to the effector of the printer. Do you think such design would be possible or do you even have experience with such printer? Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks.
Re: Clay extruder for delta printer
February 23, 2017 03:22AM
What diameter nozzle and hose are we talking about? Pushing actual clay through a hose will be a nightmare, due to it's very low viscosity, but it might be possible if the hose is large and the nozzle several mm in diameter. You would need a seriously strong extruder anyway, very likely something hydraulic. Keep in mind that the thicker the hose the more moving mass you get, since it is filled with heavy clay.
Honestly, i would not design a clay printer as a delta but as cartesian with a build platform that moves in z.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
February 24, 2017 04:28PM
I was thinking to have the nozzle 2-3mm in the diameter. You are probably right that it would require really strong extruder even for a bigger nozzle. I am thinking to build a new delta printer based on the Ceramic delta presented on this web site.
It looks really interesting for me and will be probably much more easier to build it including the extruder then inventing my own clay extruder. I was just trying to get opinion of other people here. So thanks for your coment. Anyway it will be probably a bit hard to get the ceramic extruder from somewhere. The delta printer should be ok for me to build it for the clay prints.
June 02, 2017 08:07AM
Finally I added a video to youtube with the clay printer I builded. You can see it here: video

The printer can be also seen on the attached pictures in this post.
Attachments:
open | download - 1.jpg (241 KB)
open | download - 2.jpg (159.6 KB)
open | download - 3.jpg (166.9 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login