Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder motor acting weird when hotend is on.

Posted by TERMINAL 
Extruder motor acting weird when hotend is on.
January 31, 2017 06:01PM
Ok, so earlier today i had a well calibrated and perfectly working prusa I3 based 3D printer running from a ramps 1.4 board. It was great and i was very happy with it.
However, it was running a very old version of marlin and i wanted to update it to get all the new sweet features. The update was going great i calibrated the steps per unit and printed my first test cube.
I saw that the dimensions were a bit off so i fine tuned the settings but suddenly the extruder motor started going WAAAY too fast, extruding insane amounts of filament and making very loud vibrations.

So i took apart the x carriage, removed the filament so the motor is just spinning in mid air.
When i turned on the printer and told it to spin it worked(i turned off cold extrusion protection to do this). -> however it kept slipping at regular intervals. It would spin but then "speed up" for a brief second and clicked a bit, like it's slipping.

But that's not the main issue.
When i start the printer the motor turns at the rate at which it should and is fairly quiet as it should be.

But when i turn on the hotend it starts making that horrible sound as before and spins WAAY faster than it should.

I presume this is a problem with the current provided to the motor, but i trimmed the pots to both extremes and it didn't fix the issue.
Any help would be appreciated.

UPDATE:
I found a backup of my old version of marlin and everything works perfectly fine now.
The motor isn't even slipping... weird.
I'll try and look into the settings differences and see if i can find anything that would cause that problem

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2017 06:25PM by TERMINAL.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login