Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

E3D Titan vs Bulldog XL

Posted by mmedas 
E3D Titan vs Bulldog XL
November 17, 2016 05:43PM
Does anyone have experience with both of these extruders in a bowden setup?

I'm looking for a geared bowden extruder and these seem to be the best options.

I know the Titan is a little cheaper, made mostly of plastic and has a 3:1 gear ratio, whereas the bulldog XL is mostly metal and has a 5:1 gear ratio (but it uses a geared stepper motor)

I'm open to other options too.
Re: E3D Titan vs Bulldog XL
November 18, 2016 09:20AM
I used the bulldog for a while and it works reliably. It might be the strongest extruder available. It needs some modifications to the filament guidance if you want to print elastic material.
In the long run i replaced it with direct drive extruders since i did not realy need the power.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
November 18, 2016 02:07PM
I have an E3D Titan on one of my CoreXY machines. Initially, this was in the bowden setup and it worked very well. I can't say it was really any better than the Wade's Geared extruder that I was using before, but I bought it primarily to see if I could do Ninjaflex. I've now remounted it as a direct drive with the small pancake stepper, primarily because Ninjaflex on bowden at 1.75mm is just about impossible. Although, Ninjaflex 1.75 doesn't run consistent with the E3D Titan as a direct mount either, it is a nice lightweight extruder.
November 19, 2016 03:51AM
1.75 Ninjaflex can be printed with bowden, but it needs a specifically designed extruder.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
November 19, 2016 07:14AM
I have used both for direct extrusion. So far both have been reliable. The Titan is better designed for flexible filaments, but I have also printed with TPU using the BullDog XL.

The BullDog XL comes with Bowden tube fittings. I don't recall any Bowden fittings in the Titan package.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2016 07:17AM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login