Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Exploring linear rail options

Posted by blt3dp 
Exploring linear rail options
November 01, 2016 07:27PM
I've been designing a Core XY and am having trouble choosing linear motion. For accuracy sake, I know I didn't want end supported smooth rod. Whatever linear motion had to be supported all the way. Kind of left me with a fully supported smooth rod setup, and 3/4 linear bearing deal or a linear rail similar to MGN12. Now due to my current experience with smooth rods, I hate them. Linear rail is what I wanted. But here's where the next issue comes. The Wife and I are transitioning into a smaller place, also the reason for designing a new printer.

So I'm thinking something like the igus Drylin TWE-04-12
Which is an Andonized T rail, and a polymer bearing block where the preload is adjustable
Anyone have any experience with something like that

Or has any suggestions?
Attachments:
open | download - DryLin T TW-04.pdf (467.6 KB)
Re: Exploring linear rail options
November 02, 2016 01:33PM

The Wife and I are transitioning into a smaller place, also the reason for designing a new printer.
So I'm thinking something like the igus Drylin TWE-04-12
Because of the noise? Seems reasonable. I'm about to start a build with linear guides, it will be interesting to see how it compares to the smooth rods and lm8uu used in the current printer.
The Igus parts look great, but I assume they are pricey? The other option for dealing with noise is to go with a more substantial enclosure, perhaps with a soft noise absorbing liner, and vibration isolating feet.
November 02, 2016 01:59PM
Well, I'd actually been planning on building a new printer for a while, getting tired of the constant tinkering with my Prusa i2, the move's not necessarily the reason. But, yeah, pretty much the size of a small studio apartment. If I have a chance to run it while we're home, it's gotta be fairly quiet. I plan to enclose the printer as well as either install rubber feet or sit it on a rubber mat. I'm also planning to to go with a Duet WiFi, the high microstepping should help quiet the motors too.

Actually, those igus parts look reasonable to me.
Eg, $63 for a meter of the rail. and $19-$25 for the block.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2016 02:01PM by FA-MAS.
November 02, 2016 02:19PM
That does sound reasonable, I thought it would be much more than that. I envy you the Duet WiFi, I keep trying to persuade myself to buy one, but sticker shock gets me every time.

With long print times and my nervousness about leaving the printer unattended, it's pretty important that I can live with the noise. I'll be very interested to hear how you get on with the Igus if you go that route.
November 02, 2016 02:46PM
Yeah, I've definitely budgeted for this printer. It was always going to be either used linear rails from eBay so the igus stuff is close enough to that for me. The Duet WiFi's sticker is a little hard to swallow. I rationalized it by weighing the time I spend configuring something like Marlin on RAMPS, and re-uploading the firmware multiple times till I got it right. Plus the silence from the high microstepping, and the fact that I'd not need something like a Raspberry Pi with Octoprint.

I think I've decided on the igus linear rails.
November 02, 2016 03:54PM
FA-MAS
I'm also planning to to go with a Duet WiFi, the high microstepping should help quiet the motors too.

It does. Many of us using Duet WiFi find that the fans are the noisiest components. So choose your fans carefully.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 07, 2016 01:55AM
the igus are interesting have researched them and definitely cheaper than the rexroth rails donated to me needless to say i chose the free route also look into v slot extruded aluminum rails that was my third choice
December 07, 2016 12:29PM
The design I'm thinking of wouldn't be served very well using v-slot and wheels.

I did get samples from igus

They sent out a very nice kit that had all kinds of stuff. Among them were 2 sections of linear rail and 2 bearing blocks. One was the adjustable preload type that I originally planned on using and the other was non adjustable.

Neither had any discernible play in them. Though the adjustable one was a little more finicky to get to no play while still allowing it to slide smoothly on the rail. If it were over tightened, it wouldn't slide at all.

The non adjustable one just worked.

My original though was that the adjustable one would be better because over time if the bearing wore, it could be adjusted. But now after having checked them out and doing a little more research, really, with the very light load we put on them with 3d printers, it'll be a long time before the bearings wear. I'm thinking the non adjustable ones would be better.

There was also all kinds of other stuff in the kit
I'm definitely interested in the e-chain and flexible silicone sheathed wire to go with it. Could be useful for cable routing of the hotend and beated bed heater wires.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login