Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

System Cooling, 120mm vs 50mm radial

Posted by SJMaybury 
System Cooling, 120mm vs 50mm radial
August 05, 2016 06:56AM
So I've discovered that I can get my PSU, RAMPS and Pi 2 all in roughly a 240 x 120 area.
I also found some nice blue LED lit 120mm fans. 2 of those could be mounted directly above the components and cool the entire thing.
Now a friend and advisor of mine said that's ridiculous, use 2 50mm radial fans instead... he had me convinced for a while even though the design of the fans isn't the most efficient (they're forward sloping blades).
Then I saw the CFM difference (CFM = cubic foot per metre and is a measure of volume flow rate).
Here's the breakdown:

120mm fan - direct axial style.
-18-20DB (whisper quiet)
-outputs 32 CFM
-draws ~0.2A

50mm centrifugal/radial fan.
-DB unknown, probs more
-outputs 3 CFM
-draws ~0.2A

The main caveat of the direct fans is that still air beneath them slows them down somewhat, radial fans cope better.
The thing is, with a PSU, RAMPS and Pi all in one small area I want to get the best (and quietest) cooling I can. Obviously I'd cover the 120mm fans with fine mesh to avoid damage.
I really respect my friend's opinion, he's had many years more experience than me and for the most part I trust his judgement, however in this case I feel he could be wrong, the airflow is an order of magnitude greater with the 120mm fans.

Your advice, thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks!
Re: System Cooling, 120mm vs 50mm radial
August 05, 2016 09:23AM
The flowrate of fans depend on the backpressure as you already mentioned. We don't know the design of your printer, maybe it's better to use radials to push air through?
If the design is open and air can flow freely, use the silent ones.
Re: System Cooling, 120mm vs 50mm radial
August 05, 2016 09:48AM
I'm using an own-design CoreXY with raising bed at 500mm cube, the PSU, RAMPS and Pi for Octoprint will sit at the front on the floor level. The plan is to put them in their own insulated box and I plan to use black spray painted mesh to encase the electronics, grounded, of course. That way I get good protection and lots of airflow.
One side will be against the printer front, closed off, two others will take cables in and out and so will also be closed off. That leaves fans on the top and one side open to air.

This'll be my first CoreXY so experience is appreciated!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login