Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stepper motor z probe.

Posted by F0xdude 
Stepper motor z probe.
August 04, 2016 06:56PM
Hello everyone.

I was about to create a z probe for my makerfarm pegasus 8" so I could enjoy autobed leveling/tramming when I saw I had a massive servo, rather then the micro ones that most mechanical z probes use. What I do have is an inexpensive stepper motor. One of the 28BYJ-48 motors that you can get for a dollar or two. My idea was to connect the motor to my ramps board as a 2nd extruder (after modifying the motor to be bipolar) and attach an arm to the shaft of this motor, and on the arm I would place a micro switch. In slic3r's start g-code, I would place a command, before G28 (home) telling the printer to extrude from the second print head (until the arm was facing vertically). After the G29 (auto level) I could place a command that tells it to retract filament (put the probe back into a horizontal position).

Do you know if anyone has done something like this with a stepper motor(like I plan to do)? Also, is there a way I could configure marlin, so that when I press auto home on my lcd, it will get a command to "extrude" the second extruder, but afterwords retract it?

Thank you!
Re: Stepper motor z probe.
August 04, 2016 10:21PM
One issue you might run into, on a power up you can't guarantee you know the position of that stepper motor without homing it first. One advantage the servos have is knowing the position all the time.
Re: Stepper motor z probe.
August 05, 2016 11:49AM
That is true. I would have to ensure that the motor would always be in the right position, and is not skipping steps.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login