Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Remote Extruder using Speedometer Cable?

Posted by blt3dp 
Remote Extruder using Speedometer Cable?
August 03, 2016 06:47PM
I was wondering if anyone's tried making something similar to a Flex3drive or Nimble using a Speedometer Cable. Looks like they can be had fairly cheaply. Couple it to a motor, and the other end to some type of worm gear attached to a filament gear and might work?
Re: Remote Extruder using Speedometer Cable?
August 04, 2016 02:53AM
Speedometer cable is pretty thick and stiff.
Why not try dremel style or other more flexible cables.
The issue usually is, these cables are wound to work good in one direction but can't transmit the same torque in the other direction. The wires start to unwind eventually and get stuck in the tube.
August 04, 2016 12:05PM
I've never laid hands on one, but all the pictures I see are the cables wrapped in a loop, I would have thought they'd be rather flexible. I did see that they way the cables were wrapped inside would probably be best for turning one way. My thought was that as long as the forward direction for the extruder turns it that way, that it could handle a little retraction the opposite way, and then once it turns forward again, any unraveling would undo.
August 05, 2016 04:52AM
The cables are rather flexible, but the tube often isn't.

A short but quick retraction will fail eventually, then the whole print is messed up.
August 06, 2016 12:05PM
square pin in square hole will probably round that hole eventually, especially if its a printed square hole.
August 07, 2016 02:34AM
see [mutley3d.com] same sort of system, but already works.
August 07, 2016 02:48AM
MechaBits
square pin in square hole will probably round that hole eventually, especially if its a printed square hole.

You are right, just use grubscrews too, to protect the hole from getting round.
August 07, 2016 07:57PM
I was thinking about the crank on my bike, the point of failure the square hole in the aluminium crank arm rounds over time, sure the forces are higher, but ever since I worry about square pegs in square holes, a couple of grub screws may well do the trick, I just started a longish print and forgot to add 2 3mm holes where i need them, part will work without but would have been better to have them.
August 08, 2016 03:03AM
Since small holes tend to print in wrong size or even mess up the first layer, I use to drill them if possible.

Sorry for OT
-Olaf
August 08, 2016 12:44PM
I see some people dropping the holes a little so they get a nice top layer, I might try doing same on base layer, as I have noticed the 3mm holes do mess up quite often, eventually sorting themselves out, but has to be introducing some distortions through the layers.
August 09, 2016 01:48AM
I've made a template in openScad to clean the bottom layer from holes. Especially useful for low adhesion filaments like HIPS.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login