Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing with solenoids help

Posted by Lzntechnoz 
Printing with solenoids help
June 28, 2016 03:52PM
So I may have taken on a larger project than I should have as my first major build. I need to make an extruder that prints from a syringe and uses air pressure to do so. So I set about the task and here is what I am working with and where I am stuck. I have an old Makerbot Replicator 2 with a Mightyboard Rev G and use Replicator G for printing and G code manipulation. I have printed a base that can hold the solenoids (1/4" NPT Brass Electric Solenoid Valve 12VDC Normally Closed VITON (standard USA pipe thread). Solid Brass, Direct Acting, Viton Gasket Solenoid Valve by U.S. Solid. Bought off amazon) and I have currently soldered them to a small double sided bread board in this configuration; [www.bc-robotics.com]

My printed mount works nicely, all the parts are sufficiently soldered. But I am stuck on the last and most important steps. How to hook it up to my printer, and how to adjust Gcode. So I looked around this forum and saw someone else doing something similar and they wired it into the fan section of the botstep and used a command to send power to that. So is there a way I can hook the two solenoids to the fan and possibly heater section and is the current steps I have taken even in the right direction? Issues I could think of would be in the arduino guide it hooks up to power and ground and then has a third wire on the transistor to turn it off or on where as I have just the transistor wire and ground and don't know where the power would tie to. Also can the Makerbot be modified in this way or is it impossible to do? I can answer any questions, and if this is not actually the correct place for this post then I can remove or move it as needed. Thank you to anyone that can help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login