Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Drawer slide

Posted by gildorr 
Drawer slide
November 29, 2010 06:14PM
I'm in the planning stage for building myself a repstrap and am basing my designs primarily off of wolfstrap. I have noticed that wolfstrap uses drawer slides for linear guides, instead of bars with bearings like most other designs. Are there any issues using drawer slides that I should be aware of? Has anyone on here built a wolfstrap? My primary concern is will drawer slides have any side to side play that might cause problems when printing.

I am also considering something I don't think I've seen with other printers, using rods with bushings around them, rather than bearings riding on them like in the mendel design.

Really what I'm looking for is ease of construction while keeping the cost down, and still having something that will allow for high quality prints.
Re: Drawer slide
November 30, 2010 12:12AM
prusa mendel uses bushings, and they seem to be perfectly adequate. I think prusa mendel will interest you greatly smiling smiley

-----------------------------------------------
Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
November 30, 2010 03:51AM
I am using drawer slides, the ones without a ball cage. If you get your dimensions correct, there is NO lateral play. It surprised even me, thus requiring only 1 bearing to reduce the axial Z rotation.

I have seen videos of people using ball cage versions of these slides, and they are even better.
December 10, 2010 03:53PM
Nice, I hadn't seen the prusa mendel before, I'm definitely going to give that some serious consideration once I've got my repstrap working.

After looking around online for a bit I've found some remarkably cheap linear ball bearings up on ebay, which I'm now considering in place of bronze bushings. Less than $2 for an 8mm linear bearing, and about $5 for one with a mounted block.
June 17, 2011 01:41PM
Well my sugest is loking for something like heavy duty drawer slides this. I use them and they are prety good
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login