Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Spectra line drive

Posted by eslavko 
Spectra line drive
April 29, 2016 06:25AM
Hello...

I read a lot about spectra line for drive instead of timing belt.
As I read the major trouble is how to drive it.
On one side there are just turn around drive wheel and possibility to line slip. The other side have line joined on center of driving shaft and then all needed length are wrapped around shaft. There are no slippage but tension change dependant of motor position. I got idea to shape driving pulley to compensate that. And I find same idea discussing in some other forum (here are stolen drawing).
So I try to calculate that "cigar shape" pulley but surprising found that pulley in not oval but just tapper!. Does anyone proved that already? My math is not the best one (well it is on low side) but I did try to simulate with simple python script. And surprisingly got taper instead oval...
And to be precise just really small taper. The data I used was:
distance from driving pulley to anchor pulley (must be constant) is 150mm
Driving pulley diameter is 15mm, grove steep is 1.5mm (like thread) and there are maximum of 20 turns on one side. The simulated/calculated diameter on the end (30mm from the center) was 14.906mm.
Attachments:
open | download - image.png (18.6 KB)
Re: Spectra line drive
April 29, 2016 07:20AM
Isn't it easier to use a spring to keep the tension on the same level?
Re: Spectra line drive
April 29, 2016 07:47AM
The difference is around 1.5mm. So easy job for spring, but the accuracy is not. And when I try to plot that I got something like parabola curve so not easy to compensate.
And real pulley should be under 10mm to got good resolution. And that mean longer pulley and bigger difference.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login