Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

filament unrivaled off roll

Posted by Jagtech 
filament unrivaled off roll
April 23, 2016 06:17PM
Let me start out by saying I am handicapped from a stroke and can only can use one hand. Every time I get a new roll of filament and unpack it by the time I get it fed to the printer it unravals off the side of the roll and becomes a big mess. I was wondering if I took a new roll before unpacking it if I could heat up the whole roll and let it cold down if that might solve my problem.Any other suggestions would be welcome.
Re: filament unrivaled off roll
April 24, 2016 04:33AM
I don't think I could deal with a new spool with just one hand... sometimes I can barely do it with two!

A new spool usually comes with the end of the filament taped down, or woven through a couple of holes in the spool rim. Do you undo that before you mount the spool, or after? I usually wait until the spool is on and I'm ready to thread the filament before undoing it. Once the spool is started I keep the filament in place with a clip (search Thingiverse for filament clips) and take that off once I'm ready to start threading.
April 24, 2016 09:26AM
I have done it both ways and still comes off when starting new roll I.ll try the clips but I think what happens is the roll starts to turn and then it back rolls and comes off the side. Maybe I need a little more rolling resistance when starting.
April 24, 2016 11:04PM
I use a small piece of EVA foam taped to the side of the reel mount, making sure it touches the reel lightly in order to create a little drag. This way the filament tension is not enough to unravel it, but the drag is not enough to block it either.

I would suggest you first tape or glue a piece of foam in a similar setup, place the reel on the support, and then feed it into the printer.
April 26, 2016 08:21AM
Foam idea is a great idea, Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login