Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Axis Bar

Posted by Suggy 
Axis Bar
January 28, 2016 03:49AM
Looking for bar for axis, max length will be 600mm. I think 8mm will be too thin. I need 2 for x, 2 for y and 4 for z. I was thinking 10 or 12mm? It will be a single extruder (none bowden) what do you recomend? and can anyone recomend an outlet (UK if poss)
Does it need to be hardend?

Thanks for looking
Re: Axis Bar
January 29, 2016 04:19PM
Buy some quality stuff from motedis.com

I have wasted a lot of money on so called hardened chrome rods. Don't do that.

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
My Designs on Thingiverse
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
Ultius / Tantillus Thingiverse Group
January 29, 2016 06:31PM
If you're going to use ball bushings on the rails you should use hardened rails. Balls will chew grooves into unhardened rails.

If you haven't purchased yet, I encourage you to look into linear guides- you can find used ones on ebay for about what a set of new round rails and bearings will cost and they perform much better. You only need one linear guide for X and Y, and maybe 2 for Z, depending on the machine's configuration.

I'm talking about things like this: [www.ebay.com]

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
January 30, 2016 04:09AM
Thanks guys. I have looked at linear guides but unfortunately its going to cost way too much as the postage as the postage cost is more than the rails themselves. Looks like I will be going with linear bars, 8, 10 or 12mm ?

X and Y both move and the Z up and down

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2016 04:18AM by Suggy.
Anonymous User
February 01, 2016 07:50AM
Suggy
Thanks guys. I have looked at linear guides but unfortunately its going to cost way too much as the postage as the postage cost is more than the rails themselves. Looks like I will be going with linear bars, 8, 10 or 12mm ?

X and Y both move and the Z up and down

14mm
February 01, 2016 11:00AM
Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login