Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Set screw/lock screw on thread or between it?

Posted by a4jp.com 
Set screw/lock screw on thread or between it?
January 21, 2016 11:18PM
Should I set the lock screw on my coupler on the top of the thread or between the threads?

14mm diameter, 3mm pitch

[a4jp.com] Scoovo 3D Printer
Attachments:
open | download - IMGP9000 (Custom).JPG (84.6 KB)
open | download - IMGP9013 (Custom).JPG (95.3 KB)
open | download - IMGP8999 (Large).JPG (271.6 KB)
Re: Set screw/lock screw on thread or between it?
January 23, 2016 02:55AM
Usually your coupler has more than one set screw. You may be able to align one of the screws with a certain spot on the lead screw, but the other will be a random hit. So why should you care about it anyways?
-Olaf
January 23, 2016 03:12AM
I can align both spots so I was just wondering if it is better to have the cup of the set screw on the actual thread.
I was reading that some people use a softer bit of metal but I guess that would sometimes get stuck in the hole causing bigger problems.
January 25, 2016 01:33AM
The thread in your lead screw is pretty deep. In case you have short grub screws, they might not reach to the bottom and still have enough length in their own thread.
I'd try to grind flat spots on the outside of the lead screw.
-Olaf
Anonymous User
January 25, 2016 03:51AM
My answer is simple, doesn't matter because the only good solution is to have a split coupler. True these couplers are there to compensate for misalignment but it would be nice if they don't "misalign" which happens if the hole is out of specs smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2016 04:23AM by MKSA.
January 25, 2016 03:30PM
o_lampe and MKSA great ideas.

I might mark the thread through the holes later on and then grind flat spots.
I've already got everything almost perfectly straight, or as straight as it can be.

Maybe even drilling a small hole and tapping the Acme rod in the future would be good but if the small grub screws snapped somehow it would make everything difficult.
I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be enough pressure for anything like that to happen though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2016 03:31PM by a4jp.com.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login