Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

frosted glass build-platform???

Posted by koallalays 
frosted glass build-platform???
September 23, 2010 08:47PM
Hi,

I designed a complete new printer enterly coz Makerbot was too small. That was before I noticed Mendel angry smiley Anyways, mine could (if I build it which is quite difficult) print even bigger than mendel. >33x31x32cm in a very small (50x40x50cm) case, coz I only move the extruder. Additionally its more fun to build my own, I could really be proud of (if it works ....)

I only cared about the mechanics, but then I came to the build-platform.
I read at the wiki that big parts will stick horrible to acrylic-glass, additionally the build-platform should be heated sad smiley
So I was searching for other possibilities described on the heated-bed-wiki (copper, rougheened aluminium).
Its too big, or better the parts I could buy at local stores are too small.

Getting a fitting Kapton tape?? *lol* Smaller ones, yes, but not 32cm wide
So I had the idea to use frosted glass .... Should be working (I think) coz its roughened enough (i hope).

But I can't try, coz the printer is not built yet, and if its built and not working I would have a 750Euro expensive not really decorative decoration-skulpture.

So:
Can anyone try it for me please? smiling bouncing smiley (Think a small pice from the recycling-bin should be enough for this test)

Or any other ideas?
Re: frosted glass build-platform???
October 27, 2010 06:42PM
Are you going to print PLA or ABS? For PLA you don't need a heated bed, and can just print on blue painters' tape on top of any flat stiff surface.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
November 21, 2010 10:09PM
I would only print with ABS, coz its easier to get.
Anyways good to know about that with the PLA smiling smiley

I read allready that some print on simple tapes, but I don't want to mess with it, replacing it after nearly each print. My printer should be as simple to use like my HP - Photosmart printer ... turn on - print - turn off. OK, I know its not so easy, but a completly reusable plattform would make it easier winking smiley
November 22, 2010 02:07AM
koallalays,

You should swing by [metalab.at] in Vienna.

Also, want me to create an Austria RepRap User Group? smiling bouncing smiley

I designed a complete new printer enterly coz Makerbot was too small. That was before I noticed Mendel angry smiley Anyways, mine could (if I build it which is quite difficult) print even bigger than mendel. >33x31x32cm in a very small (50x40x50cm) case, coz I only move the extruder. Additionally its more fun to build my own, I could really be proud of (if it works ....)

Would you like to write it up in the wiki?
Call it: http://reprap.org/wiki/WeinBot or something? smiling bouncing smiley

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login