Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1mx1m hot plate?

Posted by rowow 
Re: 1mx1m hot plate?
June 23, 2016 11:13AM
So, by my calculations ramps is not that cheap.....

ramps = £5
arduino = £12
Drivers = £20 (£2 each, 5 are needed and 5 as a back up. you can go cheaper, I have tried but they break... I went for the slightly more expensive option and they are pretty decent actually)
Raspberry pi = £30 (clones of the pi don't exist as far as I'm aware, they have a deal with the chip providers so china can't clone them)
LCD panel = £8

That's £75.
This is a realistic price, not £5. You can also buy Ramps 1.4 kits on ebay for around £35, so that is a good saving. However, you can be guaranteed these are all the cheapest parts possible, and multiple parts may need replacing.

£150 may be expensive, but we are talking about the next generation bleeding edge technology for 3D printers. You're right, it is not necessary in all cases but it is far more capable, better built and will have less problems. I wont be buying a duet any time soon as I run a Cartesian machine which trundles along quite happily on ramps 1.4, but my next machine will almost certainly take advantage of it.

The argument here is like comparing a Nokia 3310 to an iPhone. They both makes calls and texts, but I know which one I'd prefer personally.
June 23, 2016 11:20AM
How about 12 months strait printing on a single printer.... Your still ranting and raving and calling others stupid... Keep looking like the fool you are

People have really started to wind you up and expose you, keep at it

All the reasons you buy a ready made product is why I buy a 1500 printer or a 150 controller to put in a $2000 delta because I have no intention of wasting time troubleshooting faults that should never be there.

My next big print is close to 45hrs and 2.2kg of filament... Try that on a $200 printer and then come back and be proud
June 23, 2016 11:23AM
Origamib

ramps = £5
arduino = £12
Drivers = £20 (£2 each, 5 are needed and 5 as a back up. you can go cheaper, I have tried but they break... I went for the slightly more expensive option and they are pretty decent actually)
Raspberry pi = £30 (clones of the pi don't exist as far as I'm aware, they have a deal with the chip providers so china can't clone them)
LCD panel = £8

That's £75.
This is a realistic price, not £5. You can also buy Ramps 1.4 kits on ebay for around £35, so that is a good saving. However, you can be guaranteed these are all the cheapest parts possible, and multiple parts may need replacing.

£150 may be expensive, but we are talking about the next generation bleeding edge technology for 3D printers. You're right, it is not necessary in all cases but it is far more capable, better built and will have less problems. I wont be buying a duet any time soon as I run a Cartesian machine which trundles along quite happily on ramps 1.4, but my next machine will almost certainly take advantage of it.

The argument here is like comparing a Nokia 3310 to an iPhone. They both makes calls and texts, but I know which one I'd prefer personally.

Yep, but more like an original car phone to the iPhone
Careful though, you posted $ figures, your about to be called a fool because nothing can be that expensive smiling smiley
June 23, 2016 11:52AM
Origamib

ramps = £5
arduino = £12
LCD panel = £8

That's £75.

Raspberry pi is only if you want a web interface... However as already explained. You can get a wifi module for $5 rather then a raspberry pi. So in total the whole cost is around $50

And I dont understand why you included a lcd panel in the costs... The lcd panel is optional. You need a lcd panel on any board...
June 23, 2016 12:03PM
aussiephil
How about 12 months strait printing on a single printer.... Your still ranting and raving and calling others stupid... Keep looking like the fool you are

People have really started to wind you up and expose you, keep at it

All the reasons you buy a ready made product is why I buy a 1500 printer or a 150 controller to put in a $2000 delta because I have no intention of wasting time troubleshooting faults that should never be there.

My next big print is close to 45hrs and 2.2kg of filament... Try that on a $200 printer and then come back and be proud

1: I don't really care how long you ran your printer. You first thought I couldn't run it for more then 12 hours, now you are talking about a whole year... I dont know as I havent tested it and its ridiculous to show off you (REMOVED) about it. Tuck it back in, no one wants to see that *stuff*

2: Agian, I already explained that my printer runs perfectly fine for 20 hours strait and has done that 40 times in a row... Thats more then enough to test out a printers capabilities. You can keep on showing your (REMOVED) but it doesn't serve the argument. I am going run my larger 1mx1mx1m for 50 hours strait (which has a ramps board), once a certain customer has finished with his model.

You claim people are winding me up and exposing me yet you are on;y coming in back agian and agian being aggressive and bringing up the most illogical comments. Please be positive and actually do something beneficial to the community. Not making funny jokes ($2000 delta... LMAO HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA)

Admin edit: please watch your language. This is a family-friendly forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2016 09:27AM by NewPerfection.
June 23, 2016 12:03PM
Origamib

ramps = £5
arduino = £12
LCD panel = £8

That's £75.

Also I hope your joking about the iphone thing. If you own a iphone im blocking you...
June 23, 2016 01:07PM
rowow
Origamib

ramps = £5
arduino = £12
LCD panel = £8

That's £75.

Raspberry pi is only if you want a web interface... However as already explained. You can get a wifi module for $5 rather then a raspberry pi. So in total the whole cost is around $50

And I dont understand why you included a lcd panel in the costs... The lcd panel is optional. You need a lcd panel on any board...

Are you trying to be a troll? The iphone reference is only used as a common, well known item. I don't know what phones you guys get on that side of the pond.

Also, I don't trust that wifi module. Let me know when you have it set up. I doubt it has the usability of octoprint personally. And yes the LCD panel is optional, but you are running 20 hour+ prints, are you telling me you do that hooked up to a PC? If so, the cost just went up surely? You could hook up an SD card reader, but they cost about as much as an LCD panel with an inbuilt SD reader. However you swing it, £35-75 is a reasonable number to throw around when talking about the cost of setting up ramps 1.4.

So, the point is you are being misleading by saying $5. Ramps 1.4 does not cost $5. and when you add up the extras, maybe a duet board is not a rip off. maybe, the extra time spent not configuring it starts to become more enticing.

My calculation did not include time spent, so add minimum wage (or whatever your self worth is) for every hour extra if you want. It only makes the duet look better, however you put it.
June 23, 2016 01:55PM
rowow
3kb/s? HAHA he has more issues with his computer to be worried about then his printer. Most sd cards are 6mbs with some being 90mbs
Although I purchased my 3d cards from china and they are 4mb/s winking smiley

No but seriously if the guy has 3kb/s then he needs to check out his computer...

**EDIT**
Forgot to add the source
[www.sdcard.org]
So what speeds do YOU get when uploading the file to your SD card through the Arduino board?
I'm not talking about removing the SD card from the printer and sticking it straight into your PC.

How long does it take to upload 10 MB gcode file?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2016 01:55PM by Mikk36.
June 23, 2016 02:20PM
Most normal people use a galaxy... However the majority of old folks or young kids have iphones as they have trouble navigating and using the phone. So they need something basic and simple for them. I know its a common reference, however I hope your not using one...

Back to 3d printing.
You can solder a sd card onto to the board tongue sticking out smiley But jokes aside I agree $35-$75 is approximately the price of the board. Which gives you around $100 to spend on other things for your printer. Stepper expansion for a support material extruder and 3 for diamond. Or better stepper controllers that give you 128 step and 4a,50v of power. So on and so forth.
If you are being paid $100 like our rich friend here, and you like throwing money out, then its logical to waste that money on a duet. However for 90% of the population that's not logical and its money better spent on other things.
June 24, 2016 02:25AM
You use a galaxy? Overpriced piece of plastic that, ive heard only the cool kids buy that cos apples sucks. I use a HTC one M8.

Back to 3D printing.

Ramps 1.4 struggles with anything other than 16x micro stepping....

On top of that, it struggles to run basic heaters, or 24v electronics. So you're going to need to use an SSR or similar components. Basically, ramps 1.4 does not work well for 90% of people. Sure it has its fixes, the mega / due is quite capable if you like to tinker.

90% of the 3d printing population don't want to, or know how, to deal with ramps 1.4. Perhaps it's time for better electronics to pave the way?
June 24, 2016 02:51AM
rowow

I am going run my larger 1mx1mx1m for 50 hours strait (which has a ramps board), once a certain customer has finished with his model.

You claim people are winding me up and exposing me yet you are on;y coming in back agian and agian being aggressive and bringing up the most illogical comments. Please be positive and actually do something beneficial to the community. Not making funny jokes ($2000 delta... LMAO HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA)

Well my Carbon fibre arms cost more then you probable earn let alone spend on controller hardware and they were purchased direct from the Chinese manufacturer...... we (that is everyone but you) has continued to be constructive and point out benefits of better hardware.

Oh well you have now indicated that this huge printer you are building is either a copy of a customers or you have designed it for a customer.... man i pity that customer with your attitude that started with why the hell would i buy a silicon heatpad when i can use nichrome wire all the way to everyone must use $5 ramps because it is the reprap mantra.

PLEASE can the mods shut this thread down, it doesn't deserve to be active.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2016 02:52AM by aussiephil.
June 24, 2016 04:16AM
aussiephil

Only the original poster can request a thread being closed.

If you really think "it doesn't deserve to be active" stop replying / reading it.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
June 24, 2016 07:12AM
aussiephil
rowow

I am going run my larger 1mx1mx1m for 50 hours strait (which has a ramps board), once a certain customer has finished with his model.

Well my Carbon fibre arms cost more then you probable earn let alone spend on controller hardware and they were purchased direct from the Chinese manufacturer...... we (that is everyone but you) has continued to be constructive and point out benefits of better hardware.

Oh well you have now indicated that this huge printer you are building is either a copy of a customers or you have designed it for a customer.... man i pity that customer with your attitude that started with why the hell would i buy a silicon heatpad when i can use nichrome wire all the way to everyone must use $5 ramps because it is the reprap mantra.

Wow, what a damn fascist. Because a thread disagrees with your opinion then it doesn't deserve to exist? Silencing others to make yourself feel better. If you don't like it, you can either 1: leave 2: make a formal argument. Silencing people is not a option

Carbon fibre arms?????????? That's no place for someone like you on the reprap forums. Maybe the delta forums but not reprap. Reprap is a philosophy on designing a printer that can print another 3d printer. You obviously have forgotten or didn't know that...

Also silicone heatpads cost more then the whole entire printer. Thats why I want to find another alternative... The reasons I have alot of customers is because I have the cheapest prices. As already states, I have college students ordering from me due to it being cheaper rather then using their overpriced 3d systems cube printer.
June 24, 2016 07:31AM
Origamib
You use a galaxy? Overpriced piece of plastic that, ive heard only the cool kids buy that cos apples sucks. I use a HTC one M8.

Back to 3D printing.

Ramps 1.4 struggles with anything other than 16x micro stepping....

On top of that, it struggles to run basic heaters, or 24v electronics. So you're going to need to use an SSR or similar components. Basically, ramps 1.4 does not work well for 90% of people. Sure it has its fixes, the mega / due is quite capable if you like to tinker.

90% of the 3d printing population don't want to, or know how, to deal with ramps 1.4. Perhaps it's time for better electronics to pave the way?

I use a galaxy s4 due to it being the only phone compatible with a battery extender grinning smiley 3 full days of no charging! But when I upgrade I want to get a nexus so that I could get the google fi plan.

Back to 3d printing

I agree ramps has many of its issues. I really do want options such as radds to become more available and cheaper. As currently only 1 seller makes them and therefore has a monopoly on it. However the 90% of people find 3d printing as a thing, and don't want to even learn the smallest of things such as how a stepper motor works. The only thing they want is a button and when they click it, a plastic thing comes out. Which is why for 90% of those people they only buy ramp boards. And for most manufacturers, its more profitable to build a ramp board manufacturing machine, rather then a radds.

Eventually ill build myself a milling machine, pick and place machine, and start build my own radds board. Damn $60 is way too expensive for a 3"x5" board...
June 24, 2016 08:48PM
UPDATE

Here is the video which many people in this very forum claimed is impossible to make under a certain amount of price. Well it has been done and its up and running! Currently the customer needs more time to finish his model, so in the meanwhile I will print a blade guard for a diy underwater propulsion device, or a underwater scooter. It will be a 11 hour print or 269 grams. A small print for this size printer, however if I wake up tomorrow with no issues then I know it can handle anything... Hopefully it wont be too noisy and it wont wake me up in the middle of the night (its far quieter then in the video, and the majority of that noise is the air conditioner right behind me, which is why the sound is greatly amplified)

Also in the video I recorded it before I installed the other 3 glass plates. I need to find a larger glass sheet however in the meanwhile my simple setup is fine for pla plastic.

I later printed a boat test print and it obviously came out a bit stringy due to the long bowden setup. I need to find a solution to that, however im still calibrating my printer so hopefully with increased speed and lower temperatures it wont be noticable.

Finally on the camera. I ordered a ablegrid AG9000s camera and its not the same quality as what other people are recording it at... I bought it on amazon so ill be returning it, and in the meanwhile ill be on the lookout for a good deal on a gopro. However if anyone knows any other cameras with the same quality as a gopro ill be glad to take a look at it. However all other cameras are either far more expensive, or different in color contrast or other issues. Its really shocking to me how cheap and great quality a gopro is compared to everything else.
So in the end I just recorded it with my friends phone which takes hd video.

If anyone has any conspiracy theories they like to make such as aussiephil im glad to hear them. However I would rather hear recommendations and tips on making the printer better such as the long bowden/stringing issue

**EDIT**

Forgot to post the darn link
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2016 08:48PM by rowow.
June 25, 2016 04:00AM
rowow

However I would rather hear recommendations and tips on making the printer better such as the long bowden/stringing issue

I have some positive suggestions I could make but I don't want to subject myself to the torrent of abuse and insults that you have have thrown at everyone else who has tried to help you. Perhaps if you started with an apology to those you have already upset, I might change my mind.
June 25, 2016 07:28AM
I disagree with your claim as I treat others how I am treated. I repeatedly have been nice to people who have provided a well meaningful argument. The point I break is when they either start throwing insults or start making absurd claims such as wanting the admins to silencing others due to me having a different opinion, or giving out plainly incorrect statements when I have time over time explained what the actual situation it.

So 1: don't be a facist 2: don't lie on what I said.

However you yet agian can make whatever false claim you want but it doesnt means I care on changing your mind...
June 25, 2016 08:07AM
Update on the 11 hour print. It stopped at 3 hours due to a thermal runoff error. In the logs it seemed the temperature dropped a few degrees which the printer also happened to be stopped at the closest point to the fan. (I need to design a mounted fan to cool the print, in the meanwhile im using a table fan which works fine)
So I modified a few settings in the firmware and it should be fine now.

**EDIT** Still had issues after changing the min/max for the thermal runoff. In the end I had to turn it off, which solved the problem, however its a very useful protection and has helped me quite a few times. So I need to look into that

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2016 10:08PM by rowow.
June 26, 2016 10:04PM
Finished the second print, finished perfectly. There is some stringing however with a bit of cleaning its perfect.

Although there are some issues.

1: Stringing. There is not alot of it, but I would like to get all of it rid of. I am working on this by increasing the speed and lowering the temperature as much as I can, if anyone knows any other advice to lower stringing ill be glad to hear.
2: Noise. The noise is not too bad, and is absolutely silent with my headphones on while at my computer, however it is noisy enough to wake me up in the middle in the night when it uses its Z axis alot, such as making towers/etc. Which is what it did to me... I am using 3/8 allthread rod for the z axis, I am looking into using acme screws, and will probably purchase them on my next openbuilds order.
3: Speed. I can go 200mm/s, however when I try to go faster I have issues with my nozzle shaking like crazy which creates bad prints. The issues mostly comes from the fact that im using a extended nozzle so that the hot end can reach the floor/bed, without me having to bring up the bed. Some of it also comes from the mount for the jhead, which shows a noticeable shake. However with the purchase of the diamond hotend arriving tomorrow, I am either way going to redesign the whole hotend mount. However in the end I plan to make a metal mount for it all so there wont be any wobble.

There are some upgrades that I will be doing so.

1: Diamond hotend
2: Due board with RADDS
3: WIFI control with web interface

And in the far future I will get FMD2740C stepper drivers for the highest accuracy, speed, and power.
June 27, 2016 04:08AM
rowow
Some of it also comes from the mount for the jhead
The ones in your last video are no JHeads.
June 27, 2016 05:04AM
Seems you have a lot of openbuilds stuff, Whats your cost so far on this build? Surely its gone well over $400?
July 29, 2016 12:11PM
I have noticed a handful of things,

1. Could the long heat break be causing issues? I have heard about heat creep with PLA and I think that could be related to poor extrusion.
2. Have you considered using a hanging extruder like This
3. Be careful about the cable that is hanging down to power your hot end assembly, it could knock a print off the bed.

Good work and great job making a budget printer
September 01, 2016 06:48PM
was about to suggest radds with due
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login