Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Power Supply or Prusa I3V

Posted by MrCarbon 
Power Supply or Prusa I3V
September 03, 2015 01:29PM
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the fourm and currently are in the processing of building my first Prusa I3V 3D Printer DIY kit from Makerfarm: [www.makerfarm.com]

In order to power the 3D printer I bought a 12V/30A Power Supply: [openbuildspartstore.com]

I then bought a power cord 15A, 12/3. [m.grainger.com] In which I was told by the clerk at the store that this hook up will never work but bought anyways because A. It can be returned and B. This sort of cable was recommended with the power supply on open builds.com.

So my first question which I probably know the answer to is. Will it still work or do I now need to buy a transformer or inverter for it.

Second if it doesn't work does anyone know of the alternatives for this to work.

Thanks everyone,

Mr. Carbon
Re: Power Supply or Prusa I3V
September 04, 2015 03:52AM
If you want to use this chord as Input cable from mains to PSU, then it is completely overkill. 27$$$ eye popping smiley

If your plan was to use it for connection between Ramps and PSU, you can buy cheaper wires with bigger square section. DonĀ“t forget to crimp the ends with wire terminations.

To connect the heated bed with Ramps you better look for silicone insulated wires AWG14?
-Olaf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2015 03:54AM by o_lampe.
Re: Power Supply or Prusa I3V
September 04, 2015 01:49PM
I tried first powerup really late last night and it seem to have worked out without any problems, you bring up a good point now that I know it works. It is in fact complete overkill for what I need it for.

Time to find a smaller one

Thanks

Mr. Carbon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login