Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The best quality GT2 belt

Posted by PropellerHat 
The best quality GT2 belt
July 23, 2015 07:50AM
Hello everybody

I am searching for the best open 9mm wide GT2 belt (with the "normal" pitch in the printer world). The point is to have as little flex as possible. Do you know any remarkably stretch free manufactrurers?

Thanks!
Re: The best quality GT2 belt
July 23, 2015 08:07AM
Folger Tech has 9mm wide GT2 belt with glass fibers embedded in it, but its about as good as everything else they sell. If you want higher quality (probably) look at Stock Drive Products Part Number: A 6R51MC090

The whole point of a belt is that it can flex. If you don't want flex maybe you need rack and pinion gearing instead of a belt.
July 25, 2015 01:25PM
Belt stretch is unlikely to be the limiting factor in your design, especially if it uses stepper motors. Remember that a stepper motor has no rigid mechanical coupling - its just a stick being turned by magnets. At the step (1.8 degree) level they are very springy.

You can get carbon fiber or steel reinforced belts which have very low stretch but I don't think they come in the 2mm GT2 profile.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2015 01:30PM by 691175002.
July 27, 2015 04:21AM
Thanks guys... The thing is my printer is a coreXY and the belts are almost 4m long (2 belts connected on the gantry as closed loops, each 4m). My prints are smooth otherwise but the layers don't match perfectly.
July 27, 2015 06:55AM
A lot of things could cause that problem. Are you sure it's the belts?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
August 29, 2015 01:39PM
If not the belts, can changing jerk settings help?

Also wouldn't the wider belt have smaller vibrations that would help accuracy with fast direction changes?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login