Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to chose a linear slide system?

Posted by schpongo 
How to chose a linear slide system?
February 26, 2015 04:02PM
Hello, I would like to build a delta style 3d printer.
I like the idea of using linear slide system.

There are many manufactures of linear slide system. Most of the systems I’ve looked at are quite expansive.
So I have looked at the cheaper end of the spectrum and found the German manufacturer Igus.
They offer linear slide systems which use plastic glide pads compared to usual recirculating ball bearing guides.

My dilemma is, I am at the moment not capable of making a qualified decision if these would be suited to the loads of a deltaprinter.

My question is what are the deciding factors in choosing a linear slide system.

Thanks for the help
Daniel
Re: How to chose a linear slide system?
February 26, 2015 04:36PM
schpongo
My question is what are the deciding factors in choosing a linear slide system.
I think for a very large majority of people it comes down to cost, availability, and does it do the job it's suppose to, in that order. It doesn't matter how perfect the system is if the cost is greater than the rest of the printer. And if you can't get it, easily, then it really doesn't matter how much it costs or how well it works. Some systems were devised out of necessity to lower costs and increase availability, but at the cost of possible precision, increased friction, etc.
February 26, 2015 04:57PM
cdru
I think for a very large majority of people it comes down to cost, availability, and does it do the job it's suppose to, in that order. It doesn't matter how perfect the system is if the cost is greater than the rest of the printer. And if you can't get it, easily, then it really doesn't matter how much it costs or how well it works. Some systems were devised out of necessity to lower costs and increase availability, but at the cost of possible precision, increased friction, etc.

Though cost is a, if not the deciding factor, I was more thinking of the mechanical factors.
How do idetermin if a given liniear slide system is suited to uses in a given delta printer.
February 26, 2015 07:08PM
I recently converted my printer from 1/2" round guide rails to fully supported linear guides and found that the friction and precision are both higher. In general, even small linear guides are spec'd for much heavier duty use than we subject them to in a 3D printer, so they should last a very long time. The increased friction means you may need more current or higher torque motors to push them around.

I bought my linear guides used via ebay. There are often some very good deals on quality,used Japanese-made units if you are patient and watch for them. If you buy used ones on ebay, ask the seller if the bearing blocks have a full complement of bearings. Missing a few balls is OK and won't noticeably affect performance, but you don't want too many of them missing.
February 27, 2015 04:07AM
If I try and compare the data sheet of the linear slide system used in the kossel mini
-Hiwin MGN 12H
and the one I am looking at from Iigus
-15mm variant of the miniature Drylin T

I find that the static moments do vary a lot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login