Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Insert for Wades Extruder

Posted by ksmith5135 
Insert for Wades Extruder
May 17, 2010 06:13PM
I am building an extruder to Wade's design. I bought the printed parts, the bearings, shaft and bolts. As usual, there is one critical piece that I can't locate.

I have been unable to find the brass insert that he uses as the heart of the design. All the inserts that I find from many different companies do not have the ribbed (gear) shape that is used to catch and move the filament. There are a number of different designs but none of them look like they would work as well as the one pictured in the instructions on the Reprap wiki.

The link in those instructions is to a place in England that does not appear to ship outside of the UK. Does anyone know where I can find the right type of insert here in North America?

Kevin

Always use the right tool for the job, and the right tool for every job is a hammer.
Note - the above is not true but some days it feels like it's true.

[kevins3dprinter.blogspot.com]
Re: Insert for Wades Extruder
May 17, 2010 07:20PM
You need to make it yourself from an M8 bolt.
See the section How to build it in Geared Nema17 Extruder.
There are two videos that show how to do it.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
May 17, 2010 10:31PM
It is actually the other version that I have parts for. The wiki page is:

[objects.reprap.org]

It uses a commercially available brass insert to get around the need for machining.
(except it doesn't appear to quite as commercially available as I would like)

Kevin

Always use the right tool for the job, and the right tool for every job is a hammer.

May 17, 2010 10:36PM
That is Adrains Extruder not Wades!

He gives a link to the insert to conrad.uk.
Conrad.de (Germany) has the same part.
I don't know if they have a shop anywhere else in the world.

So, no, I don't know from where else this part can be obtained.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
May 18, 2010 11:51AM
Thanks for the correction. I am overwhelmed with mortification at my error. :-)

I have actually solved my own problem so I might as well post what I have found. It might be of help to others trying to assemble Adrian's extruder outside of the UK.

Conrad.de have the part and also ship worldwide (thanks for pointing me there). Unfortunately my german was not good enough to navigate their website so I had to move on. It might be a solution for someone with better language skills.

I found this part at technobots Ltd., also in England:

[www.technobots.co.uk]

It is not threaded but it has a set screw that should bite into the 4mm threaded rod to prevent it from turning.

I bought 20 so I should be able to pass on some to others if anyone else is having the same issue. They should arrive in a couple of weeks.

Kevin

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login