Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stepper Motor Wiring Connection

Posted by [email protected] 
Stepper Motor Wiring Connection
December 17, 2014 01:40AM
I have a stepper motor of "SHINANO KENSHI STH-39D219 " with 6 leads colored as Red,Yellow,Orange,Brown,Black and White in order. I checked web for wiring. But i didn't find a solution. When I give connection by omitting Brown and Orange with the chip L298A gets heated. Guide me to find a solution.

Thanks in Advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2014 01:52AM by abish.r01@gmail.com.
Re: Stepper Motor Wiring Connection
December 17, 2014 03:27AM
The solution is to ditch the awful L298A and get a proper constant current stepper motor driver, with a current rating appropriate to the motor. Have you located a datasheet for the motor?

You might get the.motor moving with the L298A at low speeds if you reduce the supply voltage.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2014 02:08PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Stepper Motor Wiring Connection
December 17, 2014 09:47AM
6 wire steppers have 4 coils arranged in 2 pairs of 2, with each pair having a shared tap. You need to measure with a meter resistance between different combination of leads to find the appropriate pairings. Resistance between the center tap and either end of the pair of coils should be X ohms. Resistance between both ends of a pair of coils should measure 2 * X. If it measures very high resistance or open, then those two wires are of opposite pairs of coils. Based on your previous statement, I'd start off with brown and orange being the center taps.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login