Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gear Ratio & Design

Posted by Plasteroid 
Gear Ratio & Design
October 29, 2014 03:49PM
I have 47 / 9 teeth , ratio 1:5.2222... extruder gears which came with my Reprap kit. Is it bad to use those infinite ratios in gear design generally?

Prusa i3, Ramps 1.4. Catnozzle 0.4mm
SketchUp - Enveloping Globoid Worm Gear - Part One - 3D Printed: [youtu.be]
DesignSpark Mechanical & more precise screw thread: [youtu.be]
Nicer Screw Thread In SketchUp ( Bolts,Nuts): [youtu.be]
How To Model A Heart Shape In SketchUp: [youtu.be]
How To Draw 3D Printable Snap Fit Ball Joint In SketchUp: [youtu.be]
Re: Gear Ratio & Design
October 30, 2014 01:38AM
No, it is considered good design practice. It is called the "hunting tooth" principle. This ensures that all the teeth on both gears engage with each other regularly. For example, if a 10 tooth pinion meshes with a 40 tooth gear, then each tooth on the pinion will mesh with every 4th tooth on the gear, every time. With a hunting tooth, small variations in manufacture are evened out in the bedding in process and the gears run smoother and quieter.

To get the right answer, you must ask the right question!
October 30, 2014 10:51AM
WallyL
For example, if a 10 tooth pinion meshes with a 40 tooth gear, then each tooth on the pinion will mesh with every 4th tooth on the gear, every time.
I think you mean that each pinion tooth will always engage with every 10th tooth on the larger gear.
November 06, 2014 11:25AM
The smoother and quieter part is actually a by-product of the actual intent....to greatly reduce the potential for a non-perfect part (which all parts are in some manner) generating accelerated wear and damage to both parts by always contacting the same surfaces.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login