Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Homemade vibration damper for stepper motor

Posted by janpenguin 
Homemade vibration damper for stepper motor
October 23, 2014 08:05PM
Hi,

I made simple vibration damper for NEMA 17 stepper motors out of rubber sheet.
Hardware store that sells 300 mm x 300 mm rubber sheet.
It only costed around $5 (5,000 KRW) and Vernier caliper, utility knife, scissor, compass, straight, a pencil and thick paper piece.

The thickness of vibration damper is 1.0 mm.

Making the damper template

Three vibration dampers

Re: Homemade vibration damper for stepper motor
October 23, 2014 11:21PM
How do they compare to the Astrosyn dampeners?

PS. Nice parts. grinning smiley

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
October 24, 2014 11:18PM
Don't the screws transfer the motor vibration to the frame?
October 27, 2014 06:28AM
What's the measured change in sound level? And as per dentist above, what about the rubber isolators on the other side between screw and frame?
October 27, 2014 09:57AM
I previously made similar dampeners from a gasket pack I found at a local hardware store. The pack contained both a sheet of cork and pretty firm rubber gasket material. The cork was probably 1/16th of an inch think, the rubber maybe about an 1/8". I used the same material both between the bracket and the motor as well as on the other side of the bracket and screw head/washer.

My main goal was to try to cut down on the overall noise when my z-axis moved. The two screws were noticeably louder than the belt driven X- and Y-axis. It did cut down on some of the sound that resonated in the gantry of my Mendel90, so I guess as part of the "vibration dampening" worked to some degree, but it didn't do much for the overall noise of the movement.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login